Looking for advice NF/Zeiss/Kahles??

camo304

I think the value-for-money point is spot on. You mustn't lose sight of the fact that these scopes are more than £1000 cheaper than the equivalent PM2; and as the military arm of Swarovski, Kahles are a country-mile ahead of all the other alternatives.

£1000 cheaper! I can't see any way that they'll stay at this price point; this is a Kahles land-grab to take advantage of S&B being in disarray.

Like Mike, I think the top parallax is one of the scope's best features. In use the scope is easier to handle than an S&B - all the knobs are in easy to reach places.

I think reticle choice is critical though; Mil 4 = Yes; anything else = No. I imagine that's why Mil 4s are sold out and unobtainable - it's been quoted as several months before that factory will be able to catch up with demand.

The Mil 4 is better than any S&B ret I've ever used; it balances visibility with being just the right thinness for precision; it has half mil hashes, which give you all the real-world precision you'll ever need, and unlike the S&B P4F it's 'rounded' which aids aiming. The P4F is an angular hard edged ret that doesn't lead your eye naturally to the centre; the Mil4 feels very different and 'natural'.

The other major winner is that it has S&B type turrets - ie not the awful vernier things you see on NF, Leupold etc; you cannot unwittingly be a whole elevation or windage turn out on these turrets. I hate vernier turrets with a passion!

My main niggle is that its minimum focus distance is 50m. Why did they do that?! I know that one day I'll want to stick it on an air rifle; and 50m min focus renders it useless for that task. For an extra grand, S&B 5-25s go down to 10m.

Can anyone explain to the newb what vernier turrets are and what makes them different?

Many thanks!

Basically as you add more elevation on the turret numbers are exposed after every full revolution. On the face of it a relatively simple concept. Problems can arise however. For a given zero the turret may have the number 3 exposed and the elevation turret adjusted to read zero. In other word the scope is zeroed on the third mechanical turn from zero. That's fine as long as you remember to dial back down to that point which is not always easy if you are shooting multiple distances in quick succession. More scopes are appearing with vernier turrets and zero stops which help this problem no end.

Basically as you add more elevation on the turret numbers are exposed after every full revolution. On the face of it a relatively simple concept. Problems can arise however. For a given zero the turret may have the number 3 exposed and the elevation turret adjusted to read zero. In other word the scope is zeroed on the third mechanical turn from zero. That's fine as long as you remember to dial back down to that point which is not always easy if you are shooting multiple distances in quick succession. More scopes are appearing with vernier turrets and zero stops which help this problem no end.

I see, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

After yet another scope settled on a NF 8x32x56 glass ain't a patch on the Zeiss Victory but the turrets are better for dialing, just need to get out and zero the thing.

20130503_1355231_zps977294d4.jpg

Archived