savage .17 hornet

theres a thead on saubier at the moment about using lilgun in the 17 honet,some guy over loaded his savage and locked up his action thats down to him not knowing what hes doing but a few other recommend not using lilgun for this round so go steady buddy as the back end of your bolt in the teeth would make for a crappy day

so does anyone have any pressure data to compare .22 hornet loads to the 17 for a given powder type/load. I ask as most lil gun loads for 22 are compressed in my Lee book but for the lighter bullets are 25% lower in pressure for 100 fps loss.

I know we're talking smaller bore lighter bullet. but as load data is not as comprehensive as the 22 can you take those loads as an idea of what powder may give good results.

I looked at two mid range weights in 234 and 308 75 gn and 150 gn and the same powders are in each list not at the same charge. but it implies that burn rate for weight compared to bore is similar.

so does anyone have any pressure data to compare .22 hornet loads to the 17 for a given powder type/load. I ask as most lil gun loads for 22 are compressed in my Lee book but for the lighter bullets are 25% lower in pressure for 100 fps loss.

I know we're talking smaller bore lighter bullet. but as load data is not as comprehensive as the 22 can you take those loads as an idea of what powder may give good results.

I looked at two mid range weights in 234 and 308 75 gn and 150 gn and the same powders are in each list not at the same charge. but it implies that burn rate for weight compared to bore is similar.

I think it might be unwise to draw any conclusions on pressure between the std .22 case and the highly modified .17. DO NOT over step the load with pistol primers, it could end in a pierced primer or worse. Personally if I was working up a .17 I should start with the mildest small rifle primers I could find until many others had trod the pistol primer route.

I wasn't suggesting using the data more wondering how you'd go about picking a powder as 17 was a wildcat. Quick load I believe you can design a load so it must have some way of predicting pressure etc.

Triggersqueaser

Interesting topic.

May I ask, have you tried the factory ammo and were the results the same.

I only ask as not being a reloader, I obviously only use factory ammo and my results are very much the same as yours !

Triggersqueaser

Interesting topic.

May I ask, have you tried the factory ammo and were the results the same.

I only ask as not being a reloader, I obviously only use factory ammo and my results are very much the same as yours !

yes i have tried factory ammo,its not bad in mine i have had some flyers mind.i might be on to some thing with load development and i should know as soon as i can get out again tomorrow or sat.i will fire some factory rounds again at the same time.

I wasn't suggesting using the data more wondering how you'd go about picking a powder as 17 was a wildcat. Quick load I believe you can design a load so it must have some way of predicting pressure etc.

Yes you could do that I think. I have found quickload very unreliable regarding LilGun BTW in the .22 version. That's the very powder I should start with but afraid I have a confirmed dislike of .17 anything ( it just doesn't suit me personally). Don't know why but it seems to think the max is far lower than other published data with this powder and way below what most are safely using.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to get the Hornady catalogue with all the reloading documentation from Edgar Brothers via my local gun shop, without success. I had the same problem when I needed some magazines for my rifle which I resolved by ordering directly from the states. As for the rifle and the standard load, I've found it to be fantastic, only last night I shot and killed a rabbit with a head shot at 167 metres, ranged using a laser range finder. It's so accurate and I'm finding the trajectory to be incredibly flat. I also found that at this distance instead of blowing the head completely apart which is usually the case, there was clean entry and exit with minimal damage. It's a great little rifle!

I've been trying to get the Hornady catalogue with all the reloading documentation from Edgar Brothers via my local gun shop, without success. I had the same problem when I needed some magazines for my rifle which I resolved by ordering directly from the states. As for the rifle and the standard load, I've found it to be fantastic, only last night I shot and killed a rabbit with a head shot at 167 metres, ranged using a laser range finder. It's so accurate and I'm finding the trajectory to be incredibly flat. I also found that at this distance instead of blowing the head completely apart which is usually the case, there was clean entry and exit with minimal damage. It's a great little rifle!

At said range the .22 Variant with a 45 grain sierra Hornet varminter bullet @ 2900 at the muzzle will generally smash the scull leaving 3/4 of the skin clinging to the remnants, shoulders I should expect to be undamaged. On a chest shot hare I should expect similar results to that of a roe hit with a 100 grain bullet with similar placement. Like to hear more of the terminals over time, it sounds like your lacking fragmentation / expansion but one swallow don't make a summer

well if i'm very honest i sold it :D i found next to my 223 it was not giving me the accuracy i had hoped,it was by no means bad sub moa but i wanted better.

since selling it the chap who bought it seems to have it shooting very nicely indeed better than i could.he played with seating depth and it made all the difference so it looks like the weak link was my reloading.for now i'm trying a cz hmr that used to belong to pork chop on here and i'm just trying not to expect to much from it.a bit overkill for a rimmy but its going in a manners t4 stock that dave(baldie) is painting for me.a mini fatboy.what can i say but the way a rifle looks and feels is important to me feeling the love.

i would have another hornet and will soon but a custom or a cz i think.

marks out of ten

calibre 8

savage rifle 5

hornady dies 3

hope that helps

I think if you can view it next to a .223 rem then it was the wrong gun for you. The Hornets as a family group are all about that cavernous void between the magnum rimfires and the .222 /.223. This is were the marketing is wrong for the UK user IMO

Archived