Brand new to reloading.......

wabbit evaporator

Hi all,

I am brand new to reloading, never done it myself before...... and need to start loading for a 6-6.5x47 Lapua.

Would love some advice on what kit to get..... the aim of this project is ultimate accuracy- don't mind paying for decent gear as long as it works!

Suggestions for scales, press and all other gear would be hugely appreciated. (got dies)

thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I am brand new to reloading, never done it myself before...... and need to start loading for a 6-6.5x47 Lapua.

Would love some advice on what kit to get..... the aim of this project is ultimate accuracy- don't mind paying for decent gear as long as it works!

Suggestions for scales, press and all other gear would be hugely appreciated. (got dies)

thanks in advance!

Romany!s advice is good- don,t rush it.Some experienced reloaded may simply pass onto you what is fine for their use/priorities,which may not coincide with yours.You start with a good cartridge though.Dies :which do you already have- if they are ok,this puts you down one press path,but there are others. Eg threaded rending comp are good,need threaded press.Wilson hand dies need an arbour press.

A good beam scale is essential- and micrometer very useful.You can save a it with aLee hand primer - the cheap £25 one has excellent feel to.If you can read the Sinclair reloading book(and their site - Sinclair international. - if you don.t have an idea of good gear.( manual written by bill gravatz,I think: you will be enlightened and better able to decide your priorities.

Dies,press.powder scale,micrometer,Oal depth seater,primer tool.Any more- and there is lots- can wait.

Gbal

[/quo

Go with Spud and he'll put you right in direction for sure.

I have learned reloading from books and a lot from YouTube aswel as I have been a little unlucky that I didn't know anyone reloading at the time

My tips

-would be to have very stable, leveled and strong work bench where you are going bolt your press cause when it comes to full length sizing your brass you use a fair bit of force. (And also confortable chair)

- Well lit room.

-get the right loading equipment but spud will tell you all about

-have several loading manuals, use the manual that matches the bullet brand that you will likely to be using (Sierra, hornady, Berger, ....) also in the manuals it tells you all about reloading.

- and most importantly don't rush and double check everything you do. (Safety first)

Good luck

Hi all,

thanks in advance!

Get the Sinclair catalogue,but don't buy everything,yet!

Read their "Precision reloading and shooting handbook",then you will understand most of the

Processes and kit needed and just nice to have.They are pretty good on choices and advantages of different equipment too.AND have used it all- something very few pals will have done.Read the basics in any manual.If you want best accuracy,essentially it's achieved by better tolerance engineered tools.(within the rifles intrinsic accuracy potential).

6-6.5x47? So a wildcat....you have dies,so hopefully they are really good ones,custom made for the chamber even.Good dies are a must-regular £40 ones do a good job,like factory or better,but are not ultimate- that will be more £150-200 range,and something like Redding competition with bushings (bushings let you fine tune),and if you get serious you might want to.They will need a (simple) press that takes the more or less standard screw in dies.(£75 or more).You might have Wilson hand dies

Lots of folk will give you lots of conflicting advice. Pick one person local to you to follow that can actually look over your shoulder at what you are doing and comment on the results.

In my limited experience, a good load results from the happy collision of a number of factors:

Your rifle and scope

Your brass preparation

Your reloading technique

Your choice of brass and bullet

Your choice of powder and primer

Your load testing method

Good luck. JCS

Hi all,

thanks in advance!

Get the Sinclair catalogue,but don't buy everything,yet!

Read their "Precision reloading and shooting handbook",then you will understand most of the

Processes and kit needed and just nice to have.They are pretty good on choices and advantages of different equipment too.AND have used it all- something very few pals will have done.Read the basics in any manual.If you want best accuracy,essentially it's achieved by better tolerance engineered tools.(within the rifles intrinsic accuracy potential).

6-6.5x47? So a wildcat....you have dies,so hopefully they are really good ones,custom made for the chamber even.Good dies are a must-regular £40 ones do a good job,like factory or better,but are not ultimate- that will be more £150-200 range,and something like Redding competition with bushings (bushings let you fine tune),and if you get serious you might want to.They will need a (simple) press that takes the more or less standard screw in dies.(£75 or more).You might have Wilson hand die and an arbour press- nice.

(£300 set up).

The basic lee auto prime and shell holder is as good as any,and about (£30) - it has rather good feel and many never feel the need for another £100 plus Sinclair,eg.

You need the best beam scale you can afford-like an RCBS 10-10.You might be tempted by an electronic -nice extra,but the beam is where to start.You will always have it reliably there.Powder dispenser-Harrell are tops,Redding BR 30 very good,or RCBS etc(£250,170,80).you are going to check on your beam scale anyhow,and maybe trickle in last few granules.

Good micrometer- digital is easier,Mitotoyu eg £140,but good-don,t compromise on this it's a one off and measuring is the name of the game.

OAL depth gauge and bullet comparator to fix on your micrometer(Hornady/stoney point £40,and £25).

There are near endless gizmos and useful tools you will want(maybe even need)-but not yet.Primer pocket uniformed eg,or concentricity gauge ( can only confirm good loading,or not - do things right and its just a luxury for now!

Get really good basics-the extra cost isn't always that much,but you will get somewhat better ammo,AND as important,know that it is the best and not think. You would have done better with a better micrometer,then buy another better one-get it first.

Retread the Sinclair and Gravatt book -if anyone says they are wrong or does not know about the content therein,then they are a limited source for the apprentice,though not per se wrong,necessarily.Listen especially to those who have actually used different components and tools-they may have personal preferences but they will tell you,and not just assert what they have is the best,without genuine information about the alternatives.Take care and enjoy it.

Gbal

Archived