.22 Hornet neck tension

Aggy

Hello i have just been having a dabble with A lee collet die ,question how much neck tension should I give the case .Do I give it just enough to hold the round or make a tad too tight to fit . Keep it simple guys I am new to This type of reloading no big words or technical stuff .

Aggy

Hello i have just been having a dabble with A lee collet die ,question how much neck tension should I give the case .Do I give it just enough to hold the round or make a tad too tight to fit . Keep it simple guys I am new to This type of reloading no big words or technical stuff .

Aggy

Hi Aggy,

As per the instructions, ram up with shell holder in and wined the die down till it stops, then lower ram and screw die down 1/4 of a turn and lock it off. I have also read that 0.002" neck tension is spot of for hunting rounds, its enough to hold the bullet in and you are not over working the brass.

Steve.

Hi Steve I should have said I am using once fired brass .so i do the 1/4 turn in the case wont grip the round

Mick

hi buddy just done some this afternoon using collet die with a lee hand press when seating the bullet there didnt seem to be much tension but you couldnt move them by hand put a slight crimp on them and they shot great,see my posts in the varminting section mate who's gun it is is very happy

I use a collet die for 243 and find that some bullets go in easier than others I think my problem is the bench moves a bit. I've bought the Lee factory crimp die I haven't had time to test it yet. the thing I found with the collet die was it says put about 20 lbs pressure on press handle at the end of each stroke but I find it hard to be consistant over a hundred cases or more and that and flex in the bench doesn't help.

For hunting loads I tend to set up for higher neck tension you can only do so much without polishing the mandrel (I haven't)

The pressure at the end of the stroke is where the tension is set this closes the collet which squeezes the case neck onto the mandrel.

when I seat the bullets I take any easily seated ones out and pull them I'm hoping the crimp die will mean I don't have to pull resize etc

I don't load the huge amounts some on here do but this is what I have found works annealing a load of brass helped too that was after at least three firings as I got them with all my reloading kit off a mate.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a LE Wilson benchrest die with the hornet, but I did find a tenancy for the brass to spring back some over time using std formula for bushing size. Tightened things up .002" and all fine. Just thought it worth a mention here (using RWS brass)

Archived