300WSM/230gr berger for f-open?

John UK

no, no and yes, (think more powder 300win mag or ultra mag), I am building an ulta mag for 230 pills it will buck a bit but should get the speed needed to gain the BC from the 30 cal heads.

no, no and yes, (think more powder 300win mag or ultra mag), I am building an ulta mag for 230 pills it will buck a bit but should get the speed needed to gain the BC from the 30 cal heads.

Hi,what brass is available for the ultra mag ? What do you expect the 230 pills to run at ?Any idea of barrel life ?

Hi,what brass is available for the ultra mag ? What do you expect the 230 pills to run at ?Any idea of barrel life ?
I had a 300 RUM a couple of years ago, but the Remington brass was truely awful - about a 40% wastage rate and even then it took a lot of work.

So I switched to a .30-338 LapMag i.e. 300 Lap Mag. - great brass and easy to get 10+ loadings per case. I can get around 3,000 with 240MK's, although found the best accuracy (sub 1 inch at 300yards) was around 2,850. Haven't tried the Bergers yet.

I had a 300 RUM a couple of years ago, but the Remington brass was truely awful - about a 40% wastage rate and even then it took a lot of work.

So I switched to a .30-338 LapMag i.e. 300 Lap Mag. - great brass and easy to get 10+ loadings per case. I can get around 3,000 with 240MK's, although found the best accuracy (sub 1 inch at 300yards) was around 2,850. Haven't tried the Bergers yet.

Tiff that's quite a slow load for such a big case, It would be interesting to see how you get on with the bergers. I think the only way to make the extra bullet size be of real gain over a 7mm is to push it hard(plus 3050fps)then the extra recoil would be worth the pain, My use will be only be 1000yrd plus use ,and the 7mm wsm based rounds are so good. There has to be a real world gain in BC for me to want to burn an extra 20grains of powder.

Can a 300wsm push the 230gr berger 2950 fps ?If so , would have less drift @1k than the 7mm 180gr ?

Any one shooting the 300 wsm in f-class ?

Recently been experimenting to see if this is possible. I got 2850 fps out of a 29 inch 'slave' barrel but I'm hoping a 32 inch will give me that bit extra. My ballistic prog. says 2900 is enough.

Recently been experimenting to see if this is possible. I got 2850 fps out of a 29 inch 'slave' barrel but I'm hoping a 32 inch will give me that bit extra. My ballistic prog. says 2900 is enough.

Hi, its seems that 34" barrels could be the trend in f-open .

What powder did you use ?

Archived