floating barrel 452?????

hi guys.

i have read a lot about this subject, and was wondering, should i be able to slip a 5 pound note around the barrel down to the first bolt?

because i cant!

i just wanted to know if it was worth doing this on this rifle?

many thanks.

hi guys.

i have read a lot about this subject, and was wondering, should i be able to slip a 5 pound note around the barrel down to the first bolt?

because i cant!

i just wanted to know if it was worth doing this on this rifle?

many thanks.

Hi fella,

Some factory rifles come with the stock touching the barrel or very close to it. You do not want the stock to touch the barrel. There needs to be enough room (Air Gap) between stock and barrel to allow for barrel harmonics and to allow for heat expansion during different ambient temperateness through out the year. If the stock only just clears the barrel now, when the ambient temps rises during the summer (if we are lucky) then it may touch your barrel, thus causing major accuracy problems.

If I were you if there is a minimal gap i would take you barrel/action out of the stock and sand the stock down to allow a better air gap.

what rifle/caliber/stock is it mate?

Steve.

I have a CZ452 American in .22lr, when I purchased it my barrel wasn't floating either so I took the action and barrel out of the stock and wrapped a piece of snandpaper around a piece of tube steel and removed material in the barrel channel with it untill I achieved the clearance I wanted. Then I sealed the wood with varnish and re-assembled the rifle again. The rifle shot a lot better afterwards.

sorry Ronny, double post fella. Totally agree with what you say too. ;)

yes, it's a cz 452, long barrelled in .22 lr.

so def worth sanding then!

O YES,

For sure mate.

steve.

Isn't it strange. I bought 16 Brno #1 rifles in various stages of disrepair and put together four or five good rifles from the bits. None of them float. I was out with one of them this week shooting very small groups at 50M and shooting bits of broken clay birds, golf balls, and empty 12 ga hulls at 100M prone from a bipod. The barrel isn't floated. My Brno #5 is certainly one of my most accurate .22's and it also has full contact.

I generally like floated barrels but I think inconsistent bedding is more of an issue than whether fully bedded or floating.~Andrew

thanks guys!

yes, it's a cz 452, long barrelled in .22 lr.

so def worth sanding then!

thanks ever so much guys :-)

Definitely... my .17 HMR 452 skinny barrel was touching - took some out to float it and the wood moved again over the following winter so I had to take some more out.

The other thing to check is the front trigger guard screw - ie the short one that goes into the wood... the tip of this can protrude enough to touch the action and create a pressure point. Just file it flat.

atb

Fizz

:)

well well well.

what can i say!

you guys sure know your stuff!!!!!!!

how cool is it now???!!!!!

no bull, its really made a difference.

went down another permission i have, all baron and bare at the moment, awaiting the bean poles to be put up, (soon i hope).

but set myself up onto firing into a nice big bank, 90 big paces, (i'm 6'3 so guestimate 90 yards!).

after a leeetle tweak of the scope, i am now getting shot after shot into a dot about the size of a one pence piece.

i am well happy!

still using the eley subs this is.

jees fellas, when i fit and tune the 'yo dave' i reckon i will be able to shoot flies off a cow pat!

seriously seriously impressed with the rifle now, and also the kind experienced help i get off of you guys on here.

'come on summer, come on out! warm up and bring on the bunnies'!!!

:-)

Archived