.22LR military clones

Si-Snipe

Here's my SBR Kriss Super V 45cal. It runs Glock 45cal mags-13 rounds, has extensions to accommodate up to 20 rounds. Good accuracy and punch to 100 yards. 5.5 inch barrel. Many great YouTube videos available, if you search.

20140517_123139_resized_zps1b911d10.jpg

Here she is folded. Just need to find the right holster for concealed carry :)

20140517_123201_resized_zps1617cb29.jpg

All well and good, and as you live in Scottsdale I assume you pay through the nose to shoot at SGC, or is there somewhere else you shoot in AZ?

Shooters World (indoor) ?

Table Mesa (nobody clears up the mess of fridges and TV's etc)

Rio Salado? I shoot there every year

Florence Training Site? (Mil and guests only) We get a free run of the place

Guns are one thing, having any place to shoot them is something else.

I've been travelling to and shooting in AZ every year since 2001 and know many of the shooting locations like the back of my hand

Ben Avery? South Mountain?

Bradders is curious

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bradders,

I have belonged to SGC for 3 years and primarily use them for transfers, when I'm buying and selling weapons. I don't plan to rejoin this year once I get my AI AXMC 308. I like Usery Pass the most, but the furthest away. Go about twice a week, but certified on their 550 yard HP range with 1" AR500 steel at 100, 220, 330, 440 and 550. Many ex military and local SWAT teams practice there. Go to Ben Avery only when time is tight or working up a load. Too many dangerous yahoos there.

A friend, Tom Olsen, and about 10-12 others have a spot way off Table Mesa Road, where we have 8 & 12" steel targets we leave in the desert at 450, 550, 830 and 900 yards. We keep the shooting ridge spotless and regularly paint the targets. We usually meet every Sunday moring when the weather is cooler and usually 6-10 guys show up. Lots of fun. Here's a picture of the site.

20140105_095246_resized_zps71df2a57.jpg

20140105_101957_resized_1_zps0f59d2e3.jp

I also shoot with a friend out to 1000 yards just east of the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station North of I 10 and much more public area with a lots of drunks shooting on weekends.

20140101_121240_resized_zps7668a72c.jpg

Next time you're here let me know and we can go out and have some fun shooting.

George

Hi George,

Excellent pics.

I'll definitely give you a shout next time we are in town :)

I'll be looking forward to it. Just gives me a "heads up"! Should be a fun day.

George

If you insist on easing springs on your .22 AR, two things are going to happen.

1) you're going to peen the edge of the chamber with the firing pin

2) you're going to accelerate the wear on the firing pin and break it.

The country that uses the M16 most is the Good ol' US of A, and from what I've seen from shooting with them and being in their armouries is that all M16 type rifles go back into the armory (US spelling there) with them on safe, and that means hammer cocked.

The springs don't care and neither do I.

You can by all means ease yer springs till the cows (or even last patrol) come home, but there's no reason to not then return the condition to "safe".

It's what I do when I'm Tier 1 operating with my beard on.

Not to nit pick, but the Army may leave their rifles cocked, but in the Corps when the rifle is handed through the armory window, it is with the bolt locked back, then the serial number/stock numer is called out, breech inspected, bolt realeased and the trigger is pulled to let the hammer fall, before going into the rack. I've spent more than a little time in and around armories as a Marine primary marksmanship instructor...

As to the .22's peening the chamber; not always true. It depends on the design. Most .22's with floating firing pins can have the bolt eased closed with the trigger depressed without ill effects. Quality rimfires (where firing pin length is inspected/controlled) shouldn't have an issue with dry firing; it's the older, cheaper designs that allow the firing pin to overtravel and strike the breech face that can cause peening.

I'm surprised folks are not also discussing trainers for bolt guns (ala airsoft conversions with bolt action .22's). Do they not do this in the UK?

BTW, nice range/shooting area. Looks to be quite fun.

• 1 month later...

Re: VZ58 photo query

It's a .22 rimfire version - there are two clear visual indicators, firstly you can see the ejection slot cut into the carrier on the right hand side ( as the carrier is used to charge the rifle, but stays closed during subsequent cycling), secondly the fire selector is as per an assault rifle set up ( as opposed to semi auto format ) with '1' to rear, and '30' ( which is obviously inoperative) at front.

Magazine is 7.62x 39 with a solid alloy liner inside for the .22 mag. Holds about 25 rounds.

For info see: Highland Arms .22 ogar. William Evans at Bisley import them with the classic 'beaver barf' stocks - Cold War kitsch.

I also shoot one of these as a short range gun with NEA forward rail and an Aimpont micro (nice set up).

Heavy gun (about 4kg loaded), nice feel - but one serious draw back: it chucks quite a bit of gas back at your eye when firing rapid strings as it builds up under the top cover and blows out the back join between top cover and receiver ( glasses are a must!).

Very low sights, so your eye is positioned right behind the top cover/receiver join.

Accuracy ok for steel or rapid fire on turning targets, but not paper-puncher.

Nice gun to shoot if you like Comblock guns and are realistic about expectations.

Archived