75g vmax load question.

foxpig

Me again.... ive got the vihtatouri loading manua,l in here it has all in need to now about loads for the 58g vmax but not the 75g...

How can I find out what the starting load is and max load??. Im using n140

Well im about 75% at guess with my 58g v max then. And to be honest the groups aren't as consistent as I want. I want precision every time. Every group. Im strict on barrel cleaning and and not gettin barrel to hot. Plus I can shoot so could this be the reason why perhaps....

Great that gives me a goal to aim for. Thanks for your help...

A powder that is just short of filling-ie leaves just a bit of space below bullet is OK-so long as,of course,the powder weight is not over max for that bullet/cartridge.Pressure is the limiter,and if you don't like much space,then a different powder,up to it's listed max, is the thing to try,not just more of any powder.I expect you know all this-just a tad worried some beginner will just fill up the case,and fire it - 'we all overload,sometimes' seems a confession to avoid ! Data on 'space' effect is not very consistent..

george

ok george, i havent got the balls to go under or over what it says in the manuals, i worry about barrel wear alot and dont want really hot loads, just as accurate as possible really.

ive only had the rifle 8 days and mangaed to put 400 rounds through it, and still not happy with any load. maybe the powder im using just isnt right for my barrel??

ok george, i havent got the balls to go under or over what it says in the manuals, i worry about barrel wear alot and dont want really hot loads, just as accurate as possible really.

ive only had the rifle 8 days and mangaed to put 400 rounds through it, and still not happy with any load. maybe the powder im using just isnt right for my barrel??

Me neither-I prefer to keep my face and balls etc anyhow.Seldom is there any need-though more often a desire-for more velocity- very good accuracy is often just below max manual load anyhow-or less-you will get to hear about 'nodes' a point in the powder load that just shoots well,though less so just either side,and there can be more than one-and,safety aside,there will be a price in terms of barrel wear/recoil-which may not be great,but doesn't help accurate shooting.

V140 is usually OK-especially for the medium weight bullets,like 75/87g.Of course there are other suitable powders,as suggested on here.-you will already be onto another kilo of powder at 400 rounds!

Are you sure it's the load etc,rather than scope,insecure rest,wind etc etc?What accuracy do you expect,given the rifle?Don't mes with too any bullet weights initially-chose one of the recommended bullets (58g is a bit light for 243 to begin with,but should shoot well enough-I'm still fiddling with them! )-5 shots with a powder load will tell you a lot,and a range 3 or 4 loads about 1/2 to 1 grain below max should give good indications of potential. 1/2 moa is good going with cold fingers!

george

george, ive just been out and bought some 80g nosler ballistic tips. and somefedral gold medal primers. the only load i can find close to this bullet says 31.5 to 37.2 so there will be even less podwer in these cases....

as for the rounds ive fired. i bought 200 rounds on the first day all factory stuff , so that when i gentley shot my barrel in i had an idea of what it liked.

it didnt like any of them.

best ive found was my own 40g of n140 with the 58vmax, but still not consistant enough for me. ive tried different seating depths, cleaning the barrel after every 4 shots and tried not cleaning until 12 shots, going to load up some of these in new brass and see what happens.

i want nice groups at 200 yard to give me the comfidence to shoot foxes abit further at night.....

george, ive just been out and bought some 80g nosler ballistic tips. and somefedral gold medal primers. the only load i can find close to this bullet says 31.5 to 37.2 so there will be even less podwer in these cases....

as for the rounds ive fired. i bought 200 rounds on the first day all factory stuff , so that when i gentley shot my barrel in i had an idea of what it liked.

it didnt like any of them.

best ive found was my own 40g of n140 with the 58vmax, but still not consistant enough for me. ive tried different seating depths, cleaning the barrel after every 4 shots and tried not cleaning until 12 shots, going to load up some of these in new brass and see what happens.

i want nice groups at 200 yard to give me the comfidence to shoot foxes abit further at night.....

Can't go wrong with Fed primers in 243.Is this a new rifle?presumably,so what is it?Is there any consistency-eg vertical or horizontal stringing.If it's a factory rifle anything better than 1moa iis likely to be a bonus at first.Factory can vary wrt what a rifle likes,but isn't usually all poor-maybe 2moa ,some better.Don't get hung up about space in the case-it;'s very fine tuning.-use the manufacturer's recomended load-start maybe 11/2 gr from max,go up 1/5 g at a time,with 3-5 shots.100 y is a lot easier,and wil sort out the load worth developing.....or even 50y. Check the scope and mounts-do you know the scope was OK?If possible,try another-they can cause all sorts of mayhem with very small movements.

I'm sort of assuming you have read up on the basics of reloading,and are seating the bullets to close to the recommended OAL,so that they are not deeply engaging the rifling nor are a long way from it-different factory ammo/bullets of course differs in this as bullet shape(ogive) varies.But again,a relatively minor fine tune,if you are in the ball park-eg rounds fit the magazine ok.What dies etc are you using-probably ok,but we don't want this barrel worn out before you get it set up! Ipresume too you've checked wind and drop tables-though they don't affect the consistency of group that is the basis for everything else at first .Diffent makes of brass again have a small effect-so use same brass in each shot in your 5 shot groups-you will likely know all this,but all these can add up. Are you staying with V140? It should be at least OK .

g

Can't go wrong with Fed primers in 243.Is this a new rifle?presumably,so what is it?Is there any consistency-eg vertical or horizontal stringing.If it's a factory rifle anything better than 1moa iis likely to be a bonus at first.Factory can vary wrt what a rifle likes,but isn't usually all poor-maybe 2moa ,some better.Don't get hung up about space in the case-it;'s very fine tuning.-use the manufacturer's recomended load-start maybe 11/2 gr from max,go up 1/5 g at a time,with 3-5 shots.100 y is a lot easier,and wil sort out the load worth developing.....or even 50y. Check the scope and mounts-do you know the scope was OK?If possible,try another-they can cause all sorts of mayhem with very small movements.

I'm sort of assuming you have read up on the basics of reloading,and are seating the bullets to close to the recommended OAL,so that they are not deeply engaging the rifling nor are a long way from it-different factory ammo/bullets of course differs in this as bullet shape(ogive) varies.But again,a relatively minor fine tune,if you are in the ball park-eg rounds fit the magazine ok.What dies etc are you using-probably ok,but we don't want this barrel worn out before you get it set up! Ipresume too you've checked wind and drop tables-though they don't affect the consistency of group that is the basis for everything else at first .Diffent makes of brass again have a small effect-so use same brass in each shot in your 5 shot groups-you will likely know all this,but all these can add up. Are you staying with V140? It should be at least OK .

g

thanks alot for your help george..

just been out twice, first time to see what load these noslers like,

seems they love the N140 with 41.1g in it..... so much happier now, just went out again and double checked, tried 4 more shots with max load but they where'nt as neat!

had two final shots at a 5p size target from 220yards and with my inch high at 100 zero its bang on ..im guessing its dropping an inch at 220. hope this sounds right.

the rifle is new its a sako A7 ST with 5.5-22x56 nighforce nxs on top and a roedale delta can.

all rails mounts and screws have had a drop of locktight for peace of mind.

nice light set up as i walk miles.

guess i thought it would be like my HMR that puts groups size of a pound coin at 100y all day long,

out of interest how many shots will a 243 barrel take before the barrel starts to get shot out, ive heard people say 3500. i look after the barrel as best i can but at the rate im going ill need a new barrel every 12 month.!!

Poor trigger control usually.

Load the bipod, use a back bag, and squeeze.....

Barrel life will be 1500 - 2000 rounds.

so im over half way to shooting the barrel out in under 8 days???

on the nosler front just tryed to reload the shells i just been out and shot and the primer pocket has opened, so much so i could push the new primers in by had, so had to bin that lot,

guessing the load is to much for them,......back to the drawing board....

should have gone for the 204 ruger this is a nightmare.....

d Noslers,that's something.thanks alot for your help george..

just been out twice, first time to see what load these noslers like,

seems they love the N140 with 41.1g in it..... so much happier now, just went out again and double checked, tried 4 more shots with max load but they where'nt as neat!

had two final shots at a 5p size target from 220yards and with my inch high at 100 zero its bang on ..im guessing its dropping an inch at 220. hope this sounds right.

the rifle is new its a sako A7 ST with 5.5-22x56 nighforce nxs on top and a roedale delta can.

all rails mounts and screws have had a drop of locktight for peace of mind.

nice light set up as i walk miles.

guess i thought it would be like my HMR that puts groups size of a pound coin at 100y all day long,

out of interest how many shots will a 243 barrel take before the barrel starts to get shot out, ive heard people say 3500. i look after the barrel as best i can but at the rate im going ill need a new barrel every 12 month.!!

Well,if they love the 41.1 load that's something! Is that a fairly mild load? 1.5 inches high at 100y would normally be near dead on at 220-with a reasonable but not hot load-('bang on' and 'dropping an inch' don't read very consistent to me!

Rifle and scope are first rate for a nice carry rifle.

I keep hearing of these sub calibre rim fires that perform-They will not outshoot a decent 224 at any distance beyond say 150 y. And if there is wind,they will keeep longer shots inside a £1note.

Sporter 243s can be very accurate-certainly sub !/2 moa,sometimes less.

You should not normally spend 4/500 shots sighting in-or load development,without much success.So it does not follow that you will keep shooting at your current rate.

You might get up to 2000 rounds of good accuracy,then there tends to be a slow decline-but not catastrophic,and you can do a little to help-seat bullets out into the receeding lands eg.Not the problem now though.Horizontal might be wind,if it's not shooter eror.

There is no guarantee another rifle would behave better.The 6mms are every bit as capable as the smaller calibres,indeed better at longer range,and in wind-though there is not a lot in it at plausible ranges that keep human error tolerable.A 6mm sako-perhaps heavy barrel-can often shoot .3 moa,not all day long-as factory rifles tend to put one shot out a little in most groups.That's why they are 1/3 of the price.('all day long 'is seldom tested,incidentally! 5 shots in the morning,and 5 in the afternoon don't count! and such wondersticks have a habit of mysteriously going off in company/competition.

If you did get one/few good groups repeat the mix and check-the laws of physics seldom change,all day long!

george

• 3 weeks later...

Archived