hi do any of you guys still use 22wmr and whats your thoughts on them.i know the hmr has taken over but i reckon i can get a real bargain with a wmr.are there any good makes to go for. i saw a nice stainless laminated ruger .it seemed a nice gun.i like the idea of the heavier bullet. it will be used for rabbits out to 120 max.just a wee bit more power than the lr. i dont have use for centrefire. thanks guys.

The WMR really does seem to be getting rare these days, since the HMR has taken over. My only concern would be bullet availability in the future, although whether or not that would be an issue I don't know. You could probably home load a Hornet down to that kind of power level for near enough the same price as WMR ammo, and it would be handy if you ever did need a bit of extra power.

What makes you say you don't want centre fire? Is it a land issue?

Guest northernchris

The WMR is a cracking round i had one years ago,but as njc says the ammo could get thin on the ground.I looked at getting another to replace the 17HMR but i ended up getting a .22 Hornet.In my mind it,s a far more versatile round than the .17HMR and WMR.

Had an Annie in 22wmr once and was a cracking little round but ammo was the key and I found that the RWS 22wmr ammo was the best by far nothing came close to the performance and accuracy of that stuff.Your local dealer should be able to get but I do remember it was the most expensive.Once again you get what you pay for!!.

On another thought CCI produce some super fast 22lr ammo, forget the name of it but its a real leap up in energy and trajectory from the ordinary round and with good accuracy too!!!Best wishes anyway.

Onehole

If the cci fast stuff is stingers I found their performance in my rifle rubbish.

Had success with lasers though, think their winchesters haven't bought any for a while as I use Aguilas subs these days.

Verminshooter

How about you get a mildot reticle or similar with multiple hold points and just use the 22lr. Once you have the zeros sussed, distance shots are nice and taxing.

Good practice for later if you get a centrefire. ;)

Guest northernchris

I,m confused ;) "none of my land would carry a centrefire, it is cleared for 17rem and 22 hornet.. "

When i said ammo is thin on the ground,i ment that most gunshops nowadays dont carry much of it,if they do it will be the odd box of this and that.If you are looking for repetable accuracy you want to by it in batchs as most R/F ammo is pretty inconsitant batch to batch.Its a cracking round you just have to find what works well in the rifle you are useing,then go back and buy as much ammo as you can.

Guest varmartin
Onehole

If the cci fast stuff is stingers I found their performance in my rifle rubbish.

Had success with lasers though, think their winchesters haven't bought any for a while as I use Aguilas subs these days.

Verminshooter

How about you get a mildot reticle or similar with multiple hold points and just use the 22lr. Once you have the zeros sussed, distance shots are nice and taxing.

Good practice for later if you get a centrefire. ;)

The CCI stuff is called `Velocitor`.

Its published muzzle velocity of 1,435 fps equates to 1,095 fps remaining at 100 yards. Resulting energy figures are 183 ft/lbs at the muzzle and 107 at the 100-yard mark.

Used it in my Mauser 201 luxus and it was producing around the 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

Martin

thanks guys the psni here in n ireland clear land for rf ,i rang and asked for a more powerful rifle and explained that my ground was nt really suitable for cf. they offered me 17rem and 22 hornet. they would prefer to give 1 rf and 1 cf rather than 2 rfs. cant explain why.seems pretty stupid to me. we have to have good reason for each firearm

One 22 Mag semi stands head and shoulders above the rest and that is the Heckler and Koch. I have no idea if it is still made and there were few enough of them around 10-12 years ago when I had mine but it was as nice a rimfire rifle as I have seen and it performed flawlessly 100% of the time I had it with above average accuracy.

I used 50gr Federal JHP and zeroing in at 100yds they dropped around 71/2" at 150 which I considered max range as velocity was falling down below 11fps by then.

It was used as the long range rimfire that it was alongside the standard rimfires not instead of.

thanks guys the psni here in n ireland clear land for rf ,i rang and asked for a more powerful rifle and explained that my ground was nt really suitable for cf. they offered me 17rem and 22 hornet. they would prefer to give 1 rf and 1 cf rather than 2 rfs. cant explain why.seems pretty stupid to me. we have to have good reason for each firearm

If I was you I'd have the Hornet. If your firearms department would prefer it then all the better, you can always down load it a little. In my opinion they've done you a favour :lol:

Guest steyrman2

hi i think the hornet is a good rifle i had one cut the barrel to 16 inchs put a mod on it with 35 grain vmax getting 2900 fps good round for foxes and a great rabbit gun out to 200 yards witha good scope with mill dot well worth a try when your restricted

The 17HMR had taken over? Not in the US. At least not completely. In fact, many 17HMR shooters are hanging up the 17's in favor of the 22WMR when they want a heavy hitting rimfire. My favorite 22 WMR load is the Federal Classic 30 grain at 2200 ft/sec. In reality, it pushes 2300 ft/sec. I have killed more groundsquirrels with that load from my CZ 452 than I could possibly recall. CCI has just introduced their 30 grain V-Max 22WMR that does 2250 ft/sec and it is a fine and accurate round. Either of these will put the HMR to shame at rimfire distances.

That being said, I prefer the Hornet to both. The cost of ammo just took a huge jump here (beware, a price tsunami is coming across the water) and Remington 33 grain V-Max 22WMR that was selling for $9.95/50 when I bought my last brick of it, is now $16US a box of 50! I shoot 46 grain Winchester HP bullets from my Hornet at $10/100 and, while not as accurate as the V-Max, are still 3/4MOA from my CZ when shot over 13.0 Lil Gun. They travel at 2869 gt/sec, too. All things weighed, the 22 Hornet is cheaper the way I load it. This Spring I will attempt to use cast lead bullets over the same charge of Lil Gun instead of the jacketed rounds. I expect some success. The price of bullets these days is outrageous. ~AMMOe

Archived