30-06 speeds

abolter

I have a 30-06 and am using 165gr Sierras with 56gr of N160. Its accurate but relatively slow. I am not looking to change anything really but I wondered what speeds people are actually getting with theirs. I have Quickload so can play with dry data but I wondered what real figures people have

I have a 30-06 and am using 165gr Sierras with 56gr of N160. Its accurate but relatively slow. I am not looking to change anything really but I wondered what speeds people are actually getting with theirs. I have Quickload so can play with dry data but I wondered what real figures people have

Its going to be very down to which barrel length someone has, with all the extra capacity it only draws around level with the .308 in sporters until you get to the heavy end of its bullet range. Remember the brief of the 7-62 nato (to match the performance of the 30-06 in a hi cap auto with a shorter case) that's what they did

Its going to be very down to which barrel length someone has, with all the extra capacity it only draws around level with the .308 in sporters until you get to the heavy end of its bullet range. Remember the brief of the 7-62 nato (to match the performance of the 30-06 in a hi cap auto with a shorter case) that's what they did

Or is it perhaps that under some conditions the 308 can approach the 30-06-you would have to define 'performance' rather specifically to make a convincing case for the superiority of the 308/7.62 Nato-and we don't have semi autos,let alone autos. In most sporting game shooting scenarios,there would not be any case at all for changing from a 30-06 to a 308 on 'performance' grounds.Some of my best friends are 308s but they are hardly balistically superior to 30-06s.Long range rarget shooting may modify that,but both are outclassed where there is a level playing field .

george

Or is it perhaps that under some conditions the 308 can approach the 30-06-you would have to define 'performance' rather specifically to make a convincing case for the superiority of the 308/7.62 Nato-and we don't have semi autos,let alone autos. In most sporting game shooting scenarios,there would not be any case at all for changing from a 30-06 to a 308 on 'performance' grounds.Some of my best friends are 308s but they are hardly balistically superior to 30-06s.Long range rarget shooting may modify that,but both are outclassed where there is a level playing field .

George

Was just giving the brief the designers were given not claiming the .308 superior, I think we are all aware we cannot have a hi-capacity .30 cal auto. Although I do love the .308 class case the 30-06 is also cracking round not hardly a fag paper between them with mid range bullets and sporter barrels but up the bullet weights and work with a slightly longer barrel......... I shot a std barreled sako 30-06 a while back and it used to spit a fair bit out the end adding 5" could have made a heck of a difference I recon

Was just giving the brief the designers were given not claiming the .308 superior, I think we are all aware we cannot have a hi-capacity .30 cal auto. Although I do love the .308 class case the 30-06 is also cracking round not hardly a fag paper between them with mid range bullets and sporter barrels but up the bullet weights and work with a slightly longer barrel......... I shot a std barreled sako 30-06 a while back and it used to spit a fair bit out the end adding 5" could have made a heck of a difference I recon

Ok-the phrases were yours-it might have been possible to get an auto 308 equivalent-but it did not happen.Whatever way you look at it,the T65 aka 7.62 aka 308 did not equal the 30-06-it can get close-say within 100 fps for light bullets,but then,as you note,is behind rather more with heavy bullets,where the 30-06 haas a distinct energy advantage.I'm not saying get a 30-06,though I don't think any/many 308/7.62 is going to outgun a 30-06 Garrand on any significant military balistic.

Whatever,fact is the edge at least stays with the 30-06,as I think you end up saying!Let's say it's a damn close run thing,but we know which wins,for what it's worth-a few fag papers? The rational for the 30-03,then 30-06 was to at least match the mexican 7x57 military rifles,which the 3-06 did,and then some.The 7x57 is pretty close to the 308. I know which one of the three we would both take as African plains rifle.In UK,fag paper-they are all smokin' deer cartridges!

george

Archived