Im thinking of going Dedicated NV

triple2

Hi Folks. Ive just joined the forum, so this is a Hello and a bit of advice. Im having NV insomnia. Not sure what path to choose.

Well Im from Antrim in NI and do all sorts of vermin control. Mostly foxing at night.

I have a D grade Archer and its starting to annoy me, Simple reason is by the time ive spotted foxy fumbled about for a few seconds getting it on the back of my scope the reajusted the focus on the archer the parralax on the scope, Mr foxy has usually buggered off.

I have a few grand to spare and am seriously tempted to buy a thermal as a spotter, and trade the Archer in for a Longbow.

Or would you just keep the Archer on the scope and use the thermal for spotting.

Help.

Hi Folks. Ive just joined the forum, so this is a Hello and a bit of advice. Im having NV insomnia. Not sure what path to choose.

Well Im from Antrim in NI and do all sorts of vermin control. Mostly foxing at night.

I have a D grade Archer and its starting to annoy me, Simple reason is by the time ive spotted foxy fumbled about for a few seconds getting it on the back of my scope the reajusted the focus on the archer the parralax on the scope, Mr foxy has usually buggered off.

I have a few grand to spare and am seriously tempted to buy a thermal as a spotter, and trade the Archer in for a Longbow.

Or would you just keep the Archer on the scope and use the thermal for spotting.

Help.

I have used the Archer for many years on its own with good success, yes it does take a moment to swap it over like you I became frustrated by Mr Fox moving away. Bait stations helped greatly in keeping the fox focussed. I took the plunge and now use a PVS18 spotter and a Longbow on the rifle. The PVS linked to a mil spec 3 times lens gives a great field of view, and the Longbow true fox shootability out to 300 yards, so the combination works well.

No doubt as Camo 304 says thermal and a Bow is the way to go, it is however down to your budget a good set up like that would cost 8k plus.

All these units Archer, Longbow, Thermal have there place and work well, what ever you choose I hope it works for you and welcome to the forum.

M.

was looking at a Guide 518C but someone on here pointed me towards a Pulsar HD38 and its more or less the same but a grand cheaper.

I have to say that having compared the Guide and Pulsar side by side they definitely aren't more or less the same.The Pulsar has some useful user friendly features such as the quick replacement battery compartment and the optional external battery but the Guide has auto calibration and produces a far better image and detection range which is after all what its all about.Hence why its a grand more expensive

As for Thermal try and go to look at both units, i have seen both and for my shooting the Pulsar is fine upto 3-4 hundred yards now if you need to count the flees on them i would go for the Guide518c but if monies are endless don't bother with either as there is some cracking kit out there. As nv goes a longbow with good tube will do all you need and more as will a good dedicated. Comes down to how far you need to see, if i can spot rabbits at over 4-500 yards i find thats more than enough for my little .204 ;)

Whats your location??

Help.

I,ve been using an Archer for over 6 years now and have had a few get away before the shot could be taken,but they were Foxes crossing a field quickly when i was on my own.With 2 of us there my mate simply stops the fox with a few squeaks until i am ready..which is only about 5-6 seconds.

Not sure why your having to alter Archer and scope once fitted.I simply turn the focus back to zero on the Archer before attaching and i have my parrallax set to around 120yds as this gives me a clear picture from 70-180yds which covers most Fox and if it's further then you have the time to focus parrallx clearer.

Which scope are you using? i ask as i use a Leupold but i have a MTC Viper on my HMR and that is a lot more parrallax fussy....just thinkin a new scope may be cheaper than other options your considering.

I,ve been using an Archer for over 6 years now and have had a few get away before the shot could be taken,but they were Foxes crossing a field quickly when i was on my own.With 2 of us there my mate simply stops the fox with a few squeaks until i am ready..which is only about 5-6 seconds.

Not sure why your having to alter Archer and scope once fitted.I simply turn the focus back to zero on the Archer before attaching and i have my parrallax set to around 120yds as this gives me a clear picture from 70-180yds which covers most Fox and if it's further then you have the time to focus parrallx clearer.

Which scope are you using? i ask as i use a Leupold but i have a MTC Viper on my HMR and that is a lot more parrallax fussy....just thinkin a new scope may be cheaper than other options your considering.

I am using a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 with one inch tube US import. It defo needs both parallax and focus on the archer moving when I attach it. Its time I could be saving by just going dedicated. I use the .222 90% of the time at night so I may as well.

Im may be looking for a D760 or D480 within the next month or so if anyone has one for sale. If I dont get one Ill just trade the Archer in to Julian at Starlight for the longbow upgrade. . I am mulling the options over. I do have a bit of cash free so want to treat myself.

Archived