Another new rifle

I'm not sure how much you chaps on here rate this sort of thing, they're not exactly precision shooters but they're certainly fun!

I picked it up today. Not shot it yet but I'm really looking forward to getting out and bagging a few bunnies with it. I'll have to get it to the range and get the zero sorted, and I've bought 100 CCI Velocitors to loosen up the action a bit to start with. I'm hoping to run it on subs if it will cope with them, I'm told it should be ok 99% of the time once it's loosened up a bit but I can expect the odd mis-feed. Eley seem to be the round of choice for reliability?

Thanks to SYSS, it's a cracking looking gun and a job well done :lol:

PIC_0130.jpg

Jewel the bolt on both sides at a minimum. This should allow the use of subs and still reliably feed.

A more extreme measure is that you can have the rear of the bolt radius'ed to allow the bolt to ride up on the hammer (versus smacking into to it) to cock the hammer. If you do this and shoot std or high velocity ammo, ensure you have a polymer bolt buffer pin as the recoil impulse against the frame will be increased.

Actually, on second thought, get a polmer buffer anyways. With a moderator (as I'm sure you're aware) the bolt hitting the stock steel buffer pin is louder than the shot...

Sorry to ramble...

I'm not certain of the spec exactly. It has a standard barrel that's been cut down (I was told the chamber is tighter on the custom ones, which can make it play up with subs), Hogue stock and loads of little go smoother bits added. It already has the bolt buffer.

I just had a look on Google for more info on them. They can go full auto with modification :blink::lol:

I cant tell what barrel is on there buddy, and i cant remember, as Roger built that one i think. It will cycle reliably with subs once its run in, dont worry about it, just keep the chamber clean, as you would with any match grade barrel, as they are tighter. Dont radius the bolt, whatever you do, whilst the modification can work, it will increase stress, which cracks recievers, and unless you know exactly what you are doing, you will take too much off, 9 times out of ten, rendering the bolt useless

This mod came out of a book written by a "so called expert" on the 10/22........i wouldn,t wipe my arse on it, and its brought us more repair work over the years , because basically these "tips" etc, sometimes work, sometimes dont.If the gun worked any better with them, dont you think ruger would use them? ;)

The gun has a nylon shock buffer in it, so dont fret on that score.

Have fun with it, any probs, you know where i am. :D

Just re-read your post about the std barrel.This will cycle anything buddy, just rattle some ammo down it to run the action in, and smooth it out.Surprisingly, the std ruger barrel, once shortened and recrowned are very accurate.

Well I took it to the range today. One sad point to it is my scope is faulty, so when vibrated it sometimes just goes all weird and doesn't focus! So no real accurate zero for me today. I could still hit a police baton round at 50 yards and had a lot of fun, but that's no serious marksmanship :D

The gun is very impressive though. I fired 50 rounds of Velocitor down it (talk about poppers and crackers, wont be buying them again!) and then moved on to subsonics. I fired about 150 CCI and Winchester subs through it and it didn't jam once, so I can safely say the gun works great! I need to get the scope sorted to check which ones group best, but I managed to get a few strings of shots in that hit the same penny sized area before the scope shifted zero on me.

I have to say, top marks for SYSS. I've never used a Ruger that hasn't jammed at least a couple of times with subs, so to get 150 down it with a clean record is pretty good going! I'd recommend one of these custom jobs to anyone who wants a decent semi auto ;)

If it will work with cci subs, it will work with anything, as they are truly shite ;)

Eley can be a little temperemental in auto,s but try it?

personally i like rws subs, but to be honest, i use match ammo for rabbitting anyway, as its more accurate, and hollowpoints dont expand much anyway, also match ammo is still subsonic. :D

Glad you like it buddy.

If it will work with cci subs, it will work with anything, as they are truly shite ;)

Eley can be a little temperemental in auto,s but try it?

personally i like rws subs, but to be honest, i use match ammo for rabbitting anyway, as its more accurate, and hollowpoints dont expand much anyway, also match ammo is still subsonic. :D

Glad you like it buddy.

Same here Baldie!!! :lol: :lol:

Always found Lapua midas L and Eley Tenex well accurate in the Mauser 201 i used to own , now i have a Anchutz match 64 it just loves Eley match xtra!!!! :D:P

All the best..............

RAY........................................

Baldie,

I agree in large part with the comment on radiusing the bolt (if done incorrectly), but also bear in mind, Ruger and other companies don't do a lot of things due to cost (as I'm sure you're already aware).

I know jewelling the bolt will help cycling (especially on newer actions), and I'd guess Ruger isn't about to invest in the production time to do that on a $180 rimfire. If it goes boom with regular ammo (regardless of accuracy) Ruger considers their work done...

Not trying to get in a pissing contest here... ;)

I wanted to try eleys but was a little put off by my friends gun jamming on them. Although he has a match barrel on it, the problems seem to start with the ruger mag. He'd cleaned it recently and was having a great time shooting winchester subs through it. Then he put a batch of my eleys in and they started sticking. He said it was down to the wax they put on them clogging it up? If that's what they do in the mag, I'm thinking there's little chance of getting a reliable feed no matter how good the gun is? He always uses winchesters, and although I've been told they're no good, he says he's never had any trouble with them. Why are CCI subs so bad? I found the velocitors very poor, but liked the subs :blink:

If it shoots with the cci subs, then use them buddy, we,ve found them to be very poor in most however, but different guns and all that. However, the cci standard ammo is excellent, and very reasonable at the side of everything else, as eley has just gone up...again. ;)

Marine pm11...i wasn,t getting at you fella, far from it :lol:

The comment on bolts came at a time when we have just had a "how to " series on 10/22,s written by a man who had to be shown where the extractor was on one last year, published in our target press :blink:

The articles are full of the bolt rounding trick, and covering sears in "instant metal" to get rid of slop, instead of doing it the correct way of drilling and tapping a grub screw in.

We are already seeing these buggered up guns in the shop, and having to repair them. We build on average, 5 custom 10/22,s a week, and repair/upgrade at least as many more per week, so as you can guess we,ve seen every bodge.

We have just got the first batch of our own 10/22 recievers we have made, finished, they are a cross between a ruger and a volquartsen action, and the tolerances are such, that they will run standard ruger internals without jamming anything like as frequently as the ruger/vq ones.

We are just waiting on the bolts being finished, which are basically a copy of the ruger model, BUT with a pin above the firing pin, to keep it in line, and stop pin "lift". We considered the bolt radius to be so insignificant we didn,t bother putting in the design for the new bolt.

Basically, i dislike these articles, they are encouraging people, many of which have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever, to interfere with an object that will kill, if not functioning correctly.....i dont like that.

RWS , redfox...the lube on then is very thin, and "watery" i suppose is the best way to describe it? not "waxy" like eleys. The lube on the SK brand is similar , SK is actually lapua , made in germany, its a bit cheaper, and just as good, i use the target stuff for allsorts.

If I was to use Eleys, roughly how many shots can I expect before I need to clean the mag? It may be a "how long is a piece of string" thing, but I thought I'd ask. These mags look like a complete arse to strip, although I guess once you've done it a few times it gets easier?

They are simple buddy, once you,ve done them a few times.You need the correct allen key, and spanner which are oddball imperial sizes [we do a small kit] and some cleaning fluid [lighter fluid is good, or wd40]

some mags will run for hundreds of rounds without sticking, others are a right pain. As you are running the std barrel, give the eagle stick mags we do a go.They are straight stick type mags, not rotary, and dont jam anything like as much as the ruger mag, and they are cheap, but usually only feed well in a std barrel, but some customs will run them, its a case of suck it and see.I ran a pair in my last volquartsen, and they were never cleaned in thousands of rounds.

I get thousands through mine, have 10 all together for rabbiting, with the 10/22T.

As soon as I get them I strip and clean them, lube all the contacting surfaces with teflon dri-lube including the spring and bolt, then wind up a couple of turns over std to increase the pressure at the empty end of the cycle. Blow out after each couple of trips ( or vac out if you have no compressed air) and they just run and run. Lot of people dont stop to think that the 10/22 series is a blow back action , so powder gets blown into the mag each time you fire, it wont stick to the dri lube so blows or vacs out again. Same goes for the guide rod / return spring for the breech block, although on this I use a dry moly coating, but same applies. :D

Redfox

P.S thanks for the info Baldie.

Baldie,

No offense taken, just didn't want to get into it over a potetially misunderstood or poorly written post on my part.

I'd be curious to see a pic of you guy's bolt, sounds like form following function (that Ruger left out). It is a bit amazing (and frustrating) that no improved verions of the 10/22 ever came out of Ruger...

The thing is buddy, Ruger have never needed to. I,ll explain....In the states, the ruger 10/22 is largely seen as a boys rifle, although the custom scene is big there. However, Ruger know this, and the guns are basic, with heavy triggers, and basically designed to run on hi velocity ammo, which is the mainstay of the american shooting public, unlike the UK, where we almost exclusively use subsonic ammo. The 10/22 works very well indeed, in standard form on hi velocity, it struggles with subs, so work has to be done here, to make them reliable. This is of no consequence to little jimmy, shooting in his back yard in the states as the gun works fine for him.

The new bolt we have is basically the same as the ruger but with two very important differences, the first being the pinned firing pin...not crucial, but certainly desirable.The second being correct headspace on the bolt [46 thou] i ,ve seen variation of 30 to 60 thou on different bolts, and people wonder why they are unreliable. :lol:

Its a damn good mousetrap...but it can be improved, but ruger wont be doing it.

Baldie,

I concur and understand the differences between markets. When I lived in Norwich and worked at RAF Marham, I was amazed at the passion the UK shooters had for customization. After having had gone through the process of obtaining a firearms permit in the UK (so I could shoot at the Trafalgar Meeting at Bisley) I began to understand. I have rifles (literally) that I have bought (on a whim) and never shot. They were something that caught my fancy and followed me home, and regrettably sat in the back of the gunsafe. It was indeed a shock to find the disbelief a friend of mine in the UK exhibited when I told him as much. As he walked me through the requirements and process you folks have to go through to even have a firearm, I began to appreciate the passion and dedication required to be a shooter in the UK. My hat goes off to you guys for carrying on the torch in the facce of what (IMHO) is horseshit. I regrettably turned down an opportunity to stay in the UK (which I thouroughly enjoyed BTW) due to the issues with even getting a few rifles in to the country (and no pistols whatsoever) and the crap you had to go through just to find a place to shoot. Half of the calibers I shoot I would have had an extremely hard time finding components (never mind the prices) to reload for.

Yes, in some ways there are drastic differences between UK and US shooters. But, in other ways (like the love and passion of shooting), the community is universal...

Archived