9.3 x 82R

onelesscharlie

I am seeking brass cases to suit a drilling, the round is designated as 9.3 x 82R.

All I know at present is that the rim diameter is 12.9mm (.508") and the general case dia is 11mm (.430"). Case O/L is 3.250". Chamber depth is 82.5mm.

Any help or additional info would be much appreciated.

regards

Colin

ive had some dies on order for this calibre for bloody months now, im nealry giving up and moving to another calibre for ease.

Thanks for the info... these cases are for a combination gun circa 1890, I have tracked down a case supplier in the USA but guess what..... they dont export.

The owner of the gun only has a few rounds so they are becoming more important to him each time he fires one.

I hope once you get your dies you can be my hero :)

regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

The 9.3x82R was one of a range of cartridges marketed under the Nimrod name. Quoted factory dimensions are rim thickness 1.15 - 1.2mm, rim diameter 12.57mm. Loaded ammunition has not been available for a very long time. Bertram Brass make cases, their part No. is 3154L, Henry Krank is the UK importer. I'm not in the workshop at present so cannot check load data.

If you get stuck for cases PM me and I will get one of my export agents in Europe or the US to ferret some out. It may take time but we are rarely defeated,

All the best,

Alan

Hi again,

Just checked, RCBS dies can be special ordered through Huntington Die Specialities. The part No. is 56879 (Group I die set), it uses a No. 30 shell holder and the retail price is $170.98 for a 3 die set,

Alan

Hi again,

Just checked, RCBS dies can be special ordered through Huntington Die Specialities. The part No. is 56879 (Group I die set), it uses a No. 30 shell holder and the retail price is $170.98 for a 3 die set,

Alan

Hi Colin,

The 9.3x82R was one of a range of cartridges marketed under the Nimrod name. Quoted factory dimensions are rim thickness 1.15 - 1.2mm, rim diameter 12.57mm. Loaded ammunition has not been available for a very long time. Bertrtam Brass make cases, their part No. is 31547, Henry Krank is the UK importer. I'm not in the workshop at present so cannot check load data.

If you get stuck for cases PM me and I will get one of my export agents in Europe or the US to ferret some out. It may take time but we are rarely defeated,

All the best,

Alan

Alan has said most all there is on this,Blackpowder originally,of course,and a 'family' of about half a dozen (9.3x48,57,70,72,80 and 82Rmm) all for single shot/combination guns.Only the 72 was listed in RWS catalogues after the war.Barnes apparently makes a jacketed flat point bullet for the 38-55WCF that might work in these cases,but Alan will have fuller load data.Good luck with this oldie!

george

Hi Colin,

The only load data I have immediately to hand is a 225gr lead bullet and 40gr of Hodgdon BL-C2. It might prove possible to work up a load using the Sellier & Bellot 193gr softpoint designed for the 9.3x72R. It is also possible to develop a 'short' round by using the 9.3x72R case. All critical rim dimensions are within .003 - .006". Hope this helps,

Alan

Alan has said most all there is on this,Blackpowder originally,of course,and a 'family' of about half a dozen (9.3x48,57,70,72,80 and 82Rmm) all for single shot/combination guns.Only the 72 was listed in RWS catalogues after the war.Barnes apparently makes a jacketed flat point bullet for the 38-55WCF that might work in these cases,but Alan will have fuller load data.Good luck with this oldie!

george

ps don't get into the 9.3x74Rmm-a much more powerful african plains big game number,3500 ft lbs-on a par with the 375 Flanged Magnum Nitro Expresss.

Barnes (cart of the world) lists (presumably 9.3x82Rmm ) RWS factory load at 1750ft lbs,and another unidentified factory load at 1155 ftlb,both with 193 SP bullets.

I've done a little more digging,

'Nimrod' is the trademark of Thieme & Schlegelmilch of Suhl, Germany who introduced the 9.3x82R as a black powder round in the 1880's. I believe that 'nitro for black' loadings were introduced in 1905.

Horneber of Furth, Germany make these cases and they have an English language website.

Another load for the S&B 193gr bullet is 37.8 - 42gr of Viht N140. As with all loading data please work up slowly, most of these loads for obselete cartridges have been worked up by 'enthusiasts'. Use of a filler may be required. Dies may be more readily available in Europe, I am checking,

Alan

Probably the last update!

Triebel in Germany produce loading dies for this chambering, they have an English Language website and order line. Their catalogue and price list is online,

Alan

could you just use 9.3x74r ?

Hi TackB,

Unfortunately not, there are the following differences in case dimensions:-

Base diameter - .035"

Rim thickness - .003", minimal, could live with this

Rim diameter - .039"

Pity really as 9.3x74R is abundantly available, I was regulating a double rifle last week. I've got several hundred cases for conversion to .405 WCF,

All the best,

Alan

Archived