Upward stroke drag

Raifuru

The 270 WSM has proven to be a bugger to reload. Initially the brass I had (fire formed from said rifle) would not chamber. I then bought some new Norma and has been fine but even on relatively light loads it requires a fair bit more pressure to resize (FL) than any of my other brass. I can live with that but on the upstroke of the press (brass moving away from die) getting the neck past the button is rediculously hard. Is there any way that the button can be modded to remove this tension as I would have thought the resizing of the neck had been completed on the downward stroke.

I have some Wilson dies but the fired cases will not fit into the die at all. I would sell the gun, but the accuracy is amazing and I would rather keep.

A bushing die with a larger bushing would do the trick.

Your FL die is over sizing the necks so the expander button then has to re open the neck on the upward stroke, hence the difficulty.

I use Redding type S dies and had a similar problem I just put in a larger bushing and that solved the problem.

The bullets were also much easier to seat and accuracy actually improved with slightly less neck tension.

Cheers

Dave

Might try polishing the expander button if its been machined rough.

Personally I favour bushing dies and no expander

If I were you I would ditch the basic FL die and get an FL bushing die, with the price of WSM brass it will pay dividends in extending your brass life by not overworking the necks.

spin up the expander ball in scotch brite till it's shiney smooth (cordless drill) and also run some lube (tiny bit) inside each neck neck and see if that improves it? also you could brush inside each neck before you start to remove any gunk?

Archived