BARTS BULLETS

SteveW

Can anyone offer any advice/experience ?

I shoot Barts 68g flat base bullets in my 6mm/284 at high velocities, and was wondering if anyone had ever tried/compared any of Barts other bullets, ie the Wedge, Ultra or the Headhunters.

cheers Steve

Can anyone offer any advice/experience ?

I shoot Barts 68g flat base bullets in my 6mm/284 at high velocities, and was wondering if anyone had ever tried/compared any of Barts other bullets, ie the Wedge, Ultra or the Headhunters.

cheers Steve

Hi steve,

I have used barts ultra,s 68 for target and fox,,, if your gun likes them, then great, use um???

If you want more info on using them in a 6.5 284 !! Then varminter is your man???Give him a pm and he will put you right!!!

Mine is a 6mm ppc !!

All the best F2n

:blink::lol:

Hi steve,

I have used barts ultra,s 68 for target and fox,,, if your gun likes them, then great, use um???

If you want more info on using them in a 6.5 284 !! Then varminter is your man???Give him a pm and he will put you right!!!

Mine is a 6mm ppc !!

All the best F2n

Cheers F2n,

Thanks for that dude, Do U get yr's from Callum ? Will have to give the Ultra's a try. They don't come anymore accurate than the 6mm PPC, Good choice !!

stevie220Ackley

I am also using the Barts standard bullet in a PPC, 3385fps. works fine. As you know these come in big boxes of 500 so whilst I have a box of Ultra's I have not started them yet. Yes they all came from Callum.

Think you might have a job using them in a 6.5x284 though, 6-284 yes, I would have thought that 4000 fps would be on the cards with that much powder in a long barrell.

A

Think you might have a job using them in a 6.5x284 though, 6-284 yes, I would have thought that 4000 fps would be on the cards with that much powder in a long barrell.

A

Cheers A

Ur right it is a 6mm/284, the rifle was built by Callum, shoots like a dream, it takes 58.2g of Vit. n160 for 3980fps !!!! Hoping to try the Varmint Grenades soon, quite fancy 22/284 but couldn't afford to get 2 barrels at a time, read a bit about a guy called Blaine Eddy who used to shoot one, but now reckons the 20 Tac is better ?

Cheers Steve

TAC 20 is slightly outperformed by 20BR, 20BR will launch a 50 grain pill at 3800 fps comfortably and a 39/40 grainer at well in excess of 4000 fps.

I know of a similar case to your 22-284, this is a 22- 7mm Rem, downloaded it launches a 55gr pill at 4000 fps. Cant see how this is inferior a Tac 20 that will launch a 40 grainer at about 3700 ( I think !!) unless he is talking about accuracy.

a

Sorry my mistake 6- 284 ,,, Bloody hell,, I bet that bugger zips along???

Very interesting???, Have you got some info??, And some pic,s

Hi F2N & A

Sorry for delay in coming back 2 you both, been out every nite since Thursday, shot 5, including my longest fox 342 yards, probably not quite in ur league guys, but sure felt good !!!!

Any way back to the thread in hand, I'm still not able to download pic's (KIP270 tried to set me up but still not able to do it , I think it's a prob with PhotoBucket ??!!) but she wears a 1:14 Krieger barrel profile 9 in a Winchester Marksman McMillian stock, with a NightForce 12 -42 NSX. It's an awesome rifle but i dont use it that much anymore, it a bit of a beast to lug around, she generally comes to Bisley a couple of times a year , just to win a few quid from the boys . When I've susted out the pic's thing i'll post some.

In a book a friend of mine had a book called the "Terrific Twenty's" Blaine Eddy talks about getting his 22-284, shooting a 55 balistic tips at around 4200/4300fps (From memory ) I agree with you can't see how a 20 Tac, can outdo that!! He was only refering to trajectory !!!

Cheers Steve

I have a copy of a book with the same title written by Todd Kindler, really it is a collection of articals from Small Caliber News and some reloading info but a recommended read none the less as is his Sensational 17s book. I will have a look when I get a mo.

Well done on the 342 yard fox, almost 50 yards better than my best. Not all of us can ping them off at such ranges, I like to get in closer and make sure, even then I miss from time to time.

I dare say a number 9 profile barrel is a bit of a beast to carry about, bet you dont shoot many off hand with it LOL.

A

Stevie,

You cant go wrong with a Winchester Marksman Stock, thats what my Custom 22-250 AI sits in.

IMO, arguably the best designed and balanced varmint stock you can get :angry:

My next project is going to sit in one as well:

Ian.

What a beauty, love the colouring on the stock, what bullets/powder/primers do u use in her ? I've just bought a RPA in 22-250 (not Ackley unfortunatly) and just wondered what you found to shoot well, in the past i had a Sako that loved H4895 with a 55g V-max. But would value ur imput

Cheers Steve

Steve,

The stock came from Mcmillans in forest green with black marbelling but is now straight matt black which i must say really sets off well with the polished matalwork and the leuppy scope.

Currently she really likes 53grn flat base SMKs and Berger 52grn varminters.

Cases are Norma and i am playing about with H380 and Vit 140 at the moment although i am going to experiment with Vit 150.

All this is sparked by Federal 210M primers.

I was not very happy and surprised with the inconsistancy of the Norma brass and the way it fireformed due to having up to .004 difference in the length to the shoulder, so this lot is going in the bin to be replaced by Nosler custom brass and re-doing the fireforming.

Ian.

Ian.

Unusual to hear that about Norma brass, I use it my 220 AI, never had any probs ?

I bet ur gutted about having to re fireform brass in ur new barrel ? I did read several articles in a couple of mags (not that kind of mag!! ) about fireforming brass in a jig cut with the same reamer, or even using a small amount of fast burning powder with a wadding/infill in the remainder of the case, never tried either, sure there are many far more knowledgable people on this forum who may be able to help ?

By the way how did u refinish ur stock ?

ATB Steve

Archived