Progressive loader

247sniper

High guys, hope you are all having a good Christmas?

I'm considering getting a progressive loader to load my hand gun ammo, just 9mm at the minute but who knows what else and other handguns ill have in the new future. I already load for center-fire rifles single stage etc but wanting to use a progressive to bang out large volume amounts of ammmo for the pistols.

What progressive loader would you recommend, i was thinking about the Lee 1000 kit..any good? Don't want to pay a fortune for it as i don't think for hand gun ammo the real expensive loaders would make any real difference when it comes to performance and accuracy.

What would you recommend guys and where would you get it from?

Cheers guys

Steve.

High guys, hope you are all having a good Christmas?

I'm considering getting a progressive loader to load my hand gun ammo, just 9mm at the minute but who knows what else and other handguns ill have in the new future. I already load for center-fire rifles single stage etc but wanting to use a progressive to bang out large volume amounts of ammmo for the pistols.

What progressive loader would you recommend, i was thinking about the Lee 1000 kit..any good? Don't want to pay a fortune for it as i don't think for hand gun ammo the real expensive loaders would make any real difference when it comes to performance and accuracy.

What would you recommend guys and where would you get it from?

Cheers guys

Steve.

Dillon, Dillon, dillon and er dillon

They do ship here as well though I hear there is now an importer in England

Dillon RL 550b or 650

I have 550 and as a progressive it was excellent, (then we lost pistols)

Now im sad

Dillon RL 550b or 650

(then we lost pistols)

That's such a shame and a silly bloody law. That's one thing about the IOM law that they have got and kept right.

Where is best to look at a Dillon, how much are they ?

Steve.

Now im sad

Id look on line or you tube to see set ups.

I have 550b but set up as single stage (ive removed the powder dispensers from each tool head as I no longer need to load volume over consistency (no longer load pistol ammo in other words)

If you do find a 550 /650 and want spares for the auto powder throwers and spare links etc, ive got three sets, pretty much complete.

I cannot comment on others but I use a lee progressive press for my 45 long colt . It's taken a considerable of time and effort to get it working correctly but still has its own little faults that you have to keep correcting . If I could compare to others I would BUT I cannot imagine they are designed to be as temperamental as they are , i would look to investigate others iflooking for the first time. I don't have the cash to change the equipment at the moment and it works as well as I need at present . Wouldn't like to keep switching calibres on it thought , too temperamental . Only MHO , cheers Ian

Did u check out the Dillon on the stalking directory I told u about? It was going cheap!!

Yes inquired straight away, but it was sold. :wacko: Like you said it would have been a good grab.

Steve.

I cannot comment on others but I use a lee progressive press for my 45 long colt . It's taken a considerable of time and effort to get it working correctly but still has its own little faults that you have to keep correcting . If I could compare to others I would BUT I cannot imagine they are designed to be as temperamental as they are , i would look to investigate others iflooking for the first time. I don't have the cash to change the equipment at the moment and it works as well as I need at present . Wouldn't like to keep switching calibres on it thought , too temperamental . Only MHO , cheers Ian

Thanks for your input on this.

Can you explain in more detail how it is temperamental, what are the faults that you are experiencing?

Thanks fella

Steve.

Back in the dayI ran a Lee progressive in all my pistol calibers, I had a set up on my bench with 4 presses 9mm,44,38.45 .I also had an empty gallon ice cream bucket that got all my screwed up rounds thrown in it, although I kept them clean and maintained ,there were always a few rounds going in the bin. Needing space I sold them all and bought a dillon 550B. No more screwed up cases and utterly reliable .Caliber change is a doddle.That was 25 years ago and it is going strong still. I only use it for bulk loading for my 9mm SGC carbine but it can comfortably load 200 rounds at a leisurely pace in half an hour.

Oh and there is a lifetime guarantee ,anything breaks and it is replaced foc except postage to here

A tremendous company with an excellent rep for customer service.

Funny Gazzer you mentioned screwed up cases. When I started reloading which was .222 (rifle :D ) then I got a few now and again screwed up cases, squashed necks, out of true visually on one occasion. Yet once I upgraded to RCBS press and Redding dies I don't seem to have had any anymore using various calibers.

Lee gear is ok and will do the job but other manufacturers are better in some ways.

Hope this doesn't derail the thread into Lee is better/worse than joe bloggs etc. but just trying to add constructive comment.

Archived