Equipment advice

Hi Guys,

I am based in Lancashire England and am a very keen fox shooter. I currently shoot a Tikka T3 in .223 with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50.

In my quest to improve my accuracy and general varminting skills I have been looking at and reading up on a few pieces of kit that I may think will help etc.

If anyone could shed any light on the below matters I would be truly thankful.

1. I have been looking at a new stock/chassis system, in particular the [supplier name deleted - causes controversy whenever named on UK forums] Precision one. Has anyone had any experience with this and has it improved their Tikka's performance?

2. Failing buy a new chassis, I was considering having my action bedded. Has anyone had their Tikka bedded? If so, was their an improvement in accuracy?

3. I currently use factory ammo (Can't afford to buy the reloading kit yet). I use the Sako .223 Gamehead soft point 50 grns. Could anyone advise on a better/ more accurate round for my gun?

Kind Regards,

Henry

HENRY- good to see your keen on sorting charlie out.

how accurate is your rifle with the factory ammo?

do you use the rifle for lamping?

if your set up is good for a 1" group or 1 m.o.a @100yds and i would bet the sako is-then at sensible fox shooting distances under the lamp no more than 300yds then if your rifle holds that accuracy then i wouldnt change a thing.if the rifle offers better than 1m.o.a then your on a winner.if you can hit a beer mat @300yds you will kill every fox you shoot providing you hit it in the onion bag.

if however you are on the long road to reloading your own then i would invest in some quality reloading gear-before you draw a deep breath-reloading gear today is very good at the cheap end of the market.

the scope is another issue if it was a cheap piece of chinese junk that would be your first thing to change but the leupy is a fine scope for your needs.

forget about changing the stock-unless it is not giving you the accuracy your rifle should deliver.i went the same route as you many years ago shot a lot of foxes with a remmy .223 as soon as i started rolling my own then the rifle just got better. hope this helps alittle.

Hi henry223 and welcome

As Garyw say if your set up will shoot 1 " group then reloading is the best way forward I to looked at every thing you are looking at and after some good advice from fellow members I went down the reloading route and am very glad I did IMO reloading and a good trigger will give you the biggest leaps the rest is fine tunning

Just my option from an enthusiastic beginner :blush: :blush:

Hi Guys,

I am based in Lancashire England and am a very keen fox shooter. I currently shoot a Tikka T3 in .223 with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50.

In my quest to improve my accuracy and general varminting skills I have been looking at and reading up on a few pieces of kit that I may think will help etc.

1. I have been looking at a new stock/chassis system, in particular the [supplier name deleted - causes controversy whenever named on UK forums] Precision one. Has anyone had any experience with this and has it improved their Tikka's performance?

2. Failing buy a new chassis, I was considering having my action bedded. Has anyone had their Tikka bedded? If so, was their an improvement in accuracy?

3. I currently use factory ammo (Can't afford to buy the reloading kit yet). I use the Sako .223 Gamehead soft point 50 grns. Could anyone advise on a better/ more accurate round for my gun?

Kind Regards,

Henry

Hi Henry

+1 on the other comments made, the one thing they didnt mention was confidence in the last link in the chain which is yourself. I have a similar set up to yourself, ie tikka t3 varmint with a leupold 4.5-14x50 lr scope, I presume you have the t3 lite.

One thing to consider is that your tikkifa is a lite will have a 1:8 twist and should prefer 53g+, mine is the varmint and prefers 53g or less.

There is no substitute for practice, get all parts of the puzzle working together and charlie wont stand a chance.

ATB

Colin

Hi Guys,

Kind Regards,

Henry

Hi Henry,

All the advice is spot on-there may be a case for the ultra accurate rifle,but fox shooting isn't it,given you have ,as aid,about an inch grouper at 100.Re,ember too,actual field shooting positions and conditions are unlikely to allow reproduction of those small groups you see.You will know wind is the issue way ahead of almost everything else,and only informed reading and some experience will help there.Reloading is quite satisfying for many of us,but by no means essential,or very economical-you do save the brass costs,but offset with the equipment costs.If you want to and enjoy,by all means,especially if you shoot a fair bit.I would stay with quality ammo-which might be best really is down to individual rifles.Rifle and scope are spot on-you don't need a heavy barrel,stock etc-these may come into play for target sgooters,firing enough rounds to seriously heat the barrel,and where fractions of inches/=points matter.A fox rifle needs to put the first bullet where you want it.A bipod I'd say was near essential,harris swivel is just fine,and moderator,but you probably have one.Unless you have a very atypically poor Tikka,-in which case no point in tinkering with it-what you have should be as effective as gear costing several times as much for current purposes.They will still be making rifles etc for other purposes next year,and theafter!

george

Hi Henry, I agree with all of the above. To wriggle the last bit of performance out of your rifle I would say hand loading would be the way forward for you and it will be cheaper than an expensive chassis system which might not improve anything. What stock do you have at the moment? Pretty sure the synthetic stock carnt be bedded. I run two tikka t3's and loading my own really improved there and my accuracy as the more I load the more I shoot, and practice makes perfect in this game. Confidence in your kit and ability to put the bullet where it's needed while out varminting is all that matters. Straight shooting.

Simon

Thanks for the positivie advice guys.

I currently have the standard factory stock on the rifle(only 2 years old ish) and I have a very good Harris bipod. I think I will hold back from purchasing the chassis system and possibly look to have the action bedded at my local gunsmith.

Hopefully in the new year I will look to invest in some reloading kit.

Just one more query, I currently use an unbranded Moderator and in all honesty its not that great. I have looked at few new ones in particular the ASE and PES, has anybody got one of these or recommend a good/very quiet one?

Kind regards ,

Henry

Merry XMas

I use an ASE northstar on 308 and 243, and previously used it on a .223, it's a nice mod if a little heavy, but it's had 4000+ rounds through it and is still immaculate inside. Everybody I know who has one is happy with theirs, and I get comments on the range on how effective it is.

I also have a lee pro1000 press, all set up for .223, all you need is primers, brass and bullets. Cheap, pm me if interested

Archived