build for the new year - .243 or .243 AI

Offroad Gary

looking for a little advice from the great and the good please...

i'm planning having a T3 rebarrelled in the new year sometime and have been gathering components, need to decide which way to go..

i have lite and varmint stocks, rifle will be used for foxing (lamp and night vision) and culling of roe deer, mostly from a vehicle, and might even get taken for the odd stalk if i go the short route. my stalking rifle is a 25 1/4" 6.5x47lap so i have a fairly long gun already. the new one will shoot 70gn ballistic tips only, although it might be nice if it could handle a heavier bullet for some woodland stalking if i go the short route, something that would stay together for traditional h/l shots.

i know velocity increase is one benefit, and less trimming is the other, but i actually quite like trimming!

questions,

is a 20" AI pointelss - do i need a long barrel to generate the increase in velocity?

will the AI .243 feed well from a tikka t3 mag?

is a tikka t3 mag long enought to get the full benefit from the AI cartridge?

will a tikka t3 varmint stock handle the weight of a 26" moderated barrell, or will it flex unacceptably?

will the powder increase in the AI manifest itself in increased muzzle flash which might affect the NV?

options i'm thining of..

20" light, standard .243 chamber

20" varmint, standard .243 chamber

26" heavy (AI for max velocity)

answers and thoughts on options please, especially if from real world experience of this bullet and barrel lengths.

i know theres a thread on SD at the moment but its getting a little emotional, so i thought i'd ask here

thanks in advance.

i'm planning having a T3 rebarrelled in the new year sometime and have been gathering components, need to decide which way to go..

i have lite and varmint stocks, rifle will be used for foxing (lamp and night vision) and culling of roe deer, mostly from a vehicle, and might even get taken for the odd stalk if i go the short route. my stalking rifle is a 25 1/4" 6.5x47lap so i have a fairly long gun already. the new one will shoot 70gn ballistic tips only, although it might be nice if it could handle a heavier bullet for some woodland stalking if i go the short route, something that would stay together for traditional h/l shots.

i know velocity increase is one benefit, and less trimming is the other, but i actually quite like trimming!

questions,

is a 20" AI pointelss - do i need a long barrel to generate the increase in velocity?

will a tikka t3 varmint stock handle the weight of a 26" moderated barrell, or will it flex unacceptably?

will the powder increase in the AI manifest itself in increased muzzle flash which might affect the NV?

options i'm thining of..

answers and thoughts on options please, especially if from real world experience of this bullet and barrel lengths.

i know theres a thread on SD at the moment but its getting a little emotional, so i thought i'd ask here

thanks in advance.

Facts/ballistics etc are clear:20" standard 243,light.What will another 150 fps do to a deceased roe?

Emotions: anything except the above.If you need 150 fps more,you need another 150 more etc....

Facts/ballistics etc are clear:20" standard 243,light.What will another 150 fps do to a deceased roe?

Emotions: anything except the above.If you need 150 fps more,you need another 150 more etc....

would you really only gain 150 fps from 20" standard to 26" AI

would you really only gain 150 fps from 20" standard to 26" AI

Sorry,I meant that might be the gain from standard to AI in a 20 inch barrel,though its optimistic.The main point is,though,what is the point-243 standard is enough for roe- a lot more than is legal eg in Scotland- so a bit more serves no purpose,but if 'you' think it does,then clearly yet another 150fps beyond that is even better,and so on and on...70g at 4150 is available in 6mm,but as a sensible UK roe round?

george

Gary why not say a 22'' varmint contour possibly in 243 ai with a 1-8 twist will handle your 70g ok and could handle 105g fir woodland stalking fine!! And the velocity you have lost by 4'' on the barrel length could be gained with the improved cartridge. I have this on a r700 action ask your friend rob how I get on with this Hope this helps

Gary why not say a 22'' varmint contour possibly in 243 ai with a 1-8 twist will handle your 70g ok and could handle 105g fir woodland stalking fine!! And the velocity you have lost by 4'' on the barrel length could be gained with the improved cartridge. I have this on a r700 action ask your friend rob how I get on with this Hope this helps

OK-even I could buy-or borrow-this!Two compromises make a right!

Sounds good, worth a thought although i haven't yet been convinced about the merits if the 105gn high bc hunting bullet, which has become so popular in the south west recently......

Sounds good, worth a thought although i haven't yet been convinced about the merits if the 105gn high bc hunting bullet, which has become so popular in the south west recently......

has rob not showed you how effective they can be with his 6mm rem! He's to busy playing with that 6.5 at the moment!!!

questions,

options i'm thining of..

thanks in advance.

Just my opinion, but I would go .243 with 20" varmint barrel etc. not to long to use out of a truck and not so heavy that you could easily carry it for a few hours if out after Charlie on foot. For the ranges you'll be taking fox with the nv max say 300yards I doubt it would be worth the hassle with the .243ai. For the deer and longer range stuff use your 6.5x47. You could even work up a nice flat shooting load with 58grn v-max just for foxing with the nv. As you can tell I love my foxing! :)

Gents, im well up to speed (pardon the pun) with the 20 - 22" standard .243, been running them for a few years now, just interested if ai version is doable and worthwhile in a short lightweight gun, or if my donor is suitable for a long range fox smasher without going to the added expense of a stiffer stock. Keep it coming.....

Gary, is this t3 in your possession now ? If so, get somebody who has an AI to make you up a few inert rounds so you could try them in it to see if they feed ok, I know they won't chamber fully, but the feed ramps arnt going to change, so if it 'half chambers' ok, then it should feed ok once barrelled :)

You could always use a .17hmr, they will kill an elephant from 4miles ;)

Archived