Tikka M65

Swamp Donkey

Hi all, been offered a tikka M65 in 270 for a good price, so, who knows what about them ? And what calibers can it be rebarelled into from a .270 ?

I'd have thought that the older Tikkas are even better than the new ones, but I don't know much past the M590...As for calibres you have a .308 bolt face with a long action, so take your pick: 30-06, 25-06, 7x57, anything with a .308 bolt face :)

best wishes,

Finman

A friend has a m55 continental deluxe, long action, factory chambered in .308, one of my favourite rifles, trying to get him to sell it but he knows what i would do to it!!!!

Hi all, been offered a tikka M65 in 270 for a good price, so, who knows what about them ? And what calibers can it be rebarelled into from a .270 ?

Hi

As Finman-though the M65 was also available in 308 (as well as the shorter action M55 ).Sporter stocks,and also 'continental' heavy barrel, with/without adjustable cheek stock.Good actions,some det mags too.Have had three- a good one is worth a rebarrel,they were made right.6.5x55 swede would be classic,if you want a milder .270 replacement!

george

Cheers guys, ended up getting a sako m591 varmint in 243 for a good price, it's gonna need a rebarrel soon, and I'm probably going .260 then. So that's two M591 Varminters in the safe now :)

Tikka and Sako are sound choices.Not much a .260 can't do either.

george

Looks like the .260 is gonna have to wait. It can pull a 1 1/2" group at 100yds standing in fading light, so it's not too shabby.

Might have to introduce it to Charlie fox tonight if he's decent enough to show his mangy face ;)

Glad to hear it-some 'shot out barrels' are not,when cleaned etc,and .2 groups are just not needed/feasible in field conditions,though nice to have (spend £Ks-though sakos were/are well capable of .5,less for 2/3 shots-all you neeed).I'd suggest though a proper test-rested rifle and two or three groups-2/3 shots will do-5 is much better for a target rifle,but a fox rifle isn't going to shoot 5 very often. You really want consistent first/second shot accuracy.I'd say that 1 1/2 " standing reflects more on the shooter than the rifle,and isn't shabby at all,so don't tinker with him,and expect a rested group to be 1/2 inch-which reflects more on the rifle.243 is 'adequate' for fox and most deer,just not fashionable flavour of the month,though top seller for 50 years,so mine are 6-o8s,if need be! Enjoy,if it doesn't work,you have discovered a new fox species,and might need a (factory) 260 barrel fitted!Glad you shoot the mangy ones first-respect!!

george

6-08 !!! Love it :) yes, I think it's going to be adequate for my plans, for now. I have a .308 in the same with a 22" barrel that is a bit of a shooter, but it's a bit heavy on the munties, and rabbits. A dead fox is just that but rabbits and deer are meat (dogs have the rabbit if too badly mashed). I'm going to bisley Sunday to have a play with some loads rather than put lots of shots off on the farm, and hopefully I'll pillar bed it during the week too as there is quite some 'slop' in the wood/action fit as it is, and if the results are in line with the .308, it's going to tighten it up nicely. All in, I got a rifle that's shoots well enough for now, for less than what I'd have been happy to have paid for a .260 donor action and less of a whack on my dicky shoulder too :)

Pete

6-08 !!! Love it :) yes, I think it's going to be adequate for my plans, for now. I have a .308 in the same with a 22" barrel that is a bit of a shooter, but it's a bit heavy on the munties, and rabbits. A dead fox is just that but rabbits and deer are meat (dogs have the rabbit if too badly mashed). I'm going to bisley Sunday to have a play with some loads rather than put lots of shots off on the farm, and hopefully I'll pillar bed it during the week too as there is quite some 'slop' in the wood/action fit as it is, and if the results are in line with the .308, it's going to tighten it up nicely. All in, I got a rifle that's shoots well enough for now, for less than what I'd have been happy to have paid for a .260 donor action and less of a whack on my dicky shoulder too :)

Pete

Great,there you go.Agree on the 30-o8 too. As for 'the rose by any other name',it smells and shoots sweet indeed with 67g 6mm bench rest bullets,and with 58 vmax,it becomes an off the peg,no fuss reloadable "22/243 middlestead" ballistic clone- I always wanted one-and it'll outdo most of the hot 22s.What joy!

Of course, any moderated 243 is easier on the shoulder,especially with lighter bullets.Pity shoulders can't be pillar bedded-though it seems to be shooting ok!Enjoy.

george

Its funny how different calibres mix in different circles though. I barrelled a .243, 2 x .260,s , a .222 and a 22-250 this week. The .243 was only the third in 2 years, and the .222 probarbly only the 2nd.

Its funny how different calibres mix in different circles though. I barrelled a .243, 2 x .260,s , a .222 and a 22-250 this week. The .243 was only the third in 2 years, and the .222 probarbly only the 2nd.

Dave,an interesting observation.Some musings,on a Sunday morning:

1) the sample might not be representative,but seems unlikely given the widespread popularity esp of 243. I can see Fultons getting mostly bisley target bangers,and ,say,Mcleod of Tain mostly stalking sticks,but 243 222,and over two years....? Mind you,the LOIQ party would claim 2 out of 5 is 40% of the vote,in this most recent poll.

2) 243 (and 222) are not seen to wear out so fast.Maybe 243s/222s tend to be stalking rifles,used by balistically conservative old stalkers/keepers etc who don't: load redevelop every month,pushing for every last fps;shoot many rounds;notice when the rifle goes off a half inch;care enough to replace the barrel.But even so,they have now been around for a long time,and wear is cumulative...

3)original 243/222 actions are rebarreled in a different chambering,more in keeping with perceived fashion/advantages.But you'd notice that..

4)there are hardly any 243/222s left out there....unlikey!

It is a bit odd though-and a suitable topic for idle speculation round the coffee pot on a cold day.

george

Well, mine might be up for a re-barrel, bedding etc. best I could get was .241" center to center of five shots ;) and the rest all averaged around an inch. Although the ppu's were worse than that, but you gotta give them a try.

So, all in, I'm happy with it for now, I'll bed it during the week, and try it again without the moddy, as I suffered massively from mirage due to the low (0.2 Celsius) ambient temps, and try a full charge load too instead of a mod legal 3200fps. Oh, and does anyone know where I can get parkerising solution from ?

Archived