Quickload velocity check

Offroad Gary

Not sure if quickload does this but if it does can someone run a velocity check for 70gn ballistic tip, 40gn varget for barrel lengths between 20" and 26" at 1" intervals.

Thanks in advance.... A project is looming and i need to decide barrel length. If it gives any other useful or relevant info like % powder burn etc, that might be handy to know. Pm me by all means if you dont want to publish data.

Yes .243 win - help please chaps! Just want to work out in my mind if an extra few inches will be worth any potential velocity gain. Rifle will be used mostly for foxes and the odd swede, needs to be 6 mm so no suggestions for 20 cals please.

Yes .243 win - help please chaps! Just want to work out in my mind if an extra few inches will be worth any potential velocity gain. Rifle will be used mostly for foxes and the odd swede, needs to be 6 mm so no suggestions for 20 cals please.

243 barrel length can be critical for uk deer minimum,esp with light bullets.You will lose some vel if shorter,but so what for foxing-it will be 'adequate'and then some,and an extra inch drop isn't relevant over sensible distances.Manoeverability might be more important.I've had 18 inch and 24 inch,and I know which I took in a cab,and generally if I had to walk/stalk.If velocity really did matter,you would be looking at the AI version,but it just doesn't for 250 yard foxes,an extra 150 fps would not have made any difference (usually 87g in those days).But if size doesn't matter,velocity does no harm within this envelope-and brings deer legal minimum into reach.

george

Hi Gary

.243 nosler 70grn ballistic tip

20" 3073 fps

21" 3117 fps

22" 3158 fps

23" 3196 fps

24" 3232 fps

25" 3267 fps

26" 3299 fps

hope this helps

all the best Dully1963 :)

.ps

ye still got quite a bit room on ye powder 40grn is a moderate load.

Anyone able to help, still looking for the info,

43 grns is up there near max but but work up in stages if you are thinking of going there (saftey first)

Thought some of the .243 shooters would have chimed in to give you some real world figures

:rolleyes:

Thanks for that, just out of interest, what does ql say is max load?

43 grns is up there near max but but work up in stages if you are thinking of going there (saftey first)

Thought some of the .243 shooters would have chimed in to give you some real world figures and maybe a better powder

:rolleyes:

Thanks for that, just out of interest, what does ql say is max load?

Archived