Amax in LW barrels?

Si-Snipe

1.8 twist, 1.9 and 1.10 is all LW offer (the 1.85 isnt a LW barrel twist offering)

1.8 twist, 1.9 and 1.10 is all LW offer (the 1.85 isnt a LW barrel twist offering)

that which promotes growth and vigour sorry i took the LW meaning light weight my barrel was a pac nor many appologies

accuracy was awesome with good 800 -1000 yard scores on f class targets

123's work well in my 25 1/4" 6.5 x 47l 8 twist built by ronin. In fact everything 120 ish works well. A couple of friends have prs 47l's, they run 120 amax instead of the 123's, also very accurate. Mine is LW, the prs ones are kreiger. The kreiger tubes seem a nit quicker considering theres are 20" and 22", we all get similar velocity, 2876 fps with 38gn varget. My tube is super magnum sporter profile

Looking at the possibility of getting a 6.5x47 LW barrel to replace my Trueflite that's probably about spent. I will be wanting to shoot Amax so wondered if anyone has tested them in a 6.5mm barrel? If so which weights?

Thanks

Si

Hi Si, If you stopped putting so many rounds through your barrels, you wouldn't wear them out :)

Cant't speak for the Amax, but very happy with my LW barrel shooting 123gr SCENAR's.

IMG_0524.jpg

Brian

Just out of interest, what's the 6.5X47L round-count that sees you think the barrel's about spent?

Hi Laurie

I'm up to approx 2600 rounds. Some of which (1000) were quite juicy loads. Accuracy is still around 0.3 MOA out to 800 yards with the 123g Amax. I can't shoot the 140g Amax through this barrel with the same accuracy that I can achieve with the 123's. measuring the twist rate my barrel is 1:8.5 - not the suggested 1:8. This could be the reason.

Hi Laurie

I'm up to approx 2600 rounds. Some of which (1000) were quite juicy loads. Accuracy is still around 0.3 MOA out to 800 yards with the 123g Amax. I can't shoot the 140g Amax through this barrel with the same accuracy that I can achieve with the 123's. measuring the twist rate my barrel is 1:8.5 - not the suggested 1:8. This could be the reason.

That's an impressive round count / retained accuracy combination. The cartridge obviously meets Lapua's objectives going back to when they designed it - to do as good as or better job than the 6mm BR Norma in ISSF 3-position competition and similar but with a considerable improvement in barrel life. 6BR seems to lose its edge at around 1,500 rounds oif full-house 105gn loads and my previous Border 1-8" was very badly eroded and firecracked at just over 3,000 rounds with everything from 55s to 108s through it, and had to be close to the end of its life, although it was still giving 'varmint accuracy'.

1-8.5" twist should handle the 140gn AMax OK - 1.50 Sg value at 2,800 fps in standard (59F, 29.92 inches mercury ASL) ballistic conditions. It may be the barrel just doesn't like the bullet. FWIW, I've had better results with 120/123gn bullets so far in everything I've done with 260 Rem and 6.5X47L, but keep hoping I'll find a 139/140gn recipe that gives both velocity and tiny groups. Before he returned from New Zealand to Yorkshire earlier this year, Richard Huby was getting very good performance in 1,000yd F-Class down-under with the cartridge and heavier bullets (139 Scenar and 140 Berger VLD).

The Americans say of 6.5X47 Lapua and barrel life that using N550 and 140s is a barrel killer. While the MVs are great, you can shoot a barrel out in not much more than 1,000 rounds!

Archived