Joe West F class stock

Elwood

After deciding to build another F class rifle I thought I would use one of Joe Wests thumbhole stocks. I liked the look and the quality of Joe's stock and have always enjoyed shooting thumbhole stocks, so it seemed a logical choice.

There were however a couple of points that I wanted to speak to both Joe and Simon about, as it happened nothing was to much trouble for them.

Here's a photo of a rough template made out of Tulipwood (correct me if I'm wrong Simon) that Simon sent me.

PICT0106.jpg

Now the two issue's I had were firstly I didn't really want a lip at the bottom of the pistol grip, mainly because when you have a long string of 20 shots I felt I could end up using the lip to take the weight of my hand. This would be ok if you did it from start to finish but not if you started half way through a course of fire and potentially upsetting the positition of the rifle in the front and rear rests.

The other issue was based more on aesthetics, but also on comfort. My fingers felt like they were locked into place and I wasn't able to move them if I wanted to. I also didn't think the lines looked right and didn't flow into the stock as perhaps they could.

The XXXXXXXX is where I marked the stock to have the lip taken off

PICT0034.jpg

Showing the finger slots

PICT0095.jpg

Simon and Joe took on my comments in a positive and professional way and asked for the template back so they could do the adjustments. About a week later I received the new version, this looked and felt so much better.

PICT0048.jpg

I only had one concern left and Simon addressed that before I could mention it. The pistol grip came down below the level of the stock that would ride the rear bag. On a heavy recoiling rifle there would be a chance of the rifle riding the bag and the pistol grip hitting the rear bag, I don't have to explain to anyone that this wouldn't be good! In the photo above you can see the steel rule where I'm trying to establish some measurements for the height, I think in the end Simon increased the height by about 3/8 inch.

This is what Simon and Joe came up with, you can see where they have marked out where the cheek piece will go.

west.jpg

The finished stock was then sent to Neil McKillop to be inlet and bedded and then it went off to Hydrographics to have the paint work done, marblelized Oriental blue

I would like to thank Gary (6.5 shooter) for letting me borrow his Tubb four way adjustable butt plate so that Simon could shape the butt of the stock.

The fnished stock.

PICT0100.jpg

PICT0098.jpg

PICT0103.jpg

The idea was to get the rifle ready for the European F class championships, unfortunately it failed by just a few days but through no fault of Joe and Simon they supplied the stock in advance of the time scale I gave them. I have really enjoyed working with them and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Many thanks for taking the time to do this write up. We're glad you're happy with the stock and the paint job looks superb. It was a pleasure working with you to create this monster!

• 2 weeks later...

Joe/Simon

Mr T has just ordered a new stock for my FT/R build. I am looking forward to seeing the new stock (and hoping it fits my small hand!).

:rolleyes:

I am getting my rifle back from Neil Mckilop on thursday. It has a thumbhole FTR stock on it, I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product. There is a up side to small hands they make your nob look big :lol:

ATB SEAN

Seen my stock today for the first time. I have to say that it is a stunning thing as is the rifle Neil Mckilop has built. The design of the stock is basicaly the same as ELWOODS but has the FTR style front end. If anybody is thinking of having a rifle built i urge them to speak to Simon regarding stocks and Neil for building the rifle. You will not be disappointed with there work. Although i do think Neil charges me to much :lol:

Regards Sean

Come on Sean. get some pictures up. :D

As soon as the stock has been oiled i will put some pics up or at least try. Have to say if it shoots as good as it looks i am on a winner. The weight may be an issue if i want change it to 308 for ftr but i will cross that bridge when i come to it. But for a tarts bunny bashing rifle it is spot on :lol:

Speak soon

Regards Sean

Sean if you did'nt spend so much on sandwiches you'd have more to spend on rifles.

If you spent less time on the internet calling me a fat stripey deckchair, You could build my rifles quicker :lol:

All joking aside the rifle looks stunning.

Thanks Sean

Archived