RFD to RFD transfer, how much?

Womphorn

I've now hovered for a few weeks, reading and learning and drooling over some lovely rifles you guys have but now I need some advice.

I stupidly bought a rifle and spare barrel as a stopgap option while saving for a custom job I want built at some point next year. When the gunsmith at my club checked it out, both were showing signs of corrosion and the spare barrel was too wide for the woodwork on the rifle. All had to be sent back. There was no problem with the seller accepting the return and our gunsmith also the RFD organised the return.

Here's the question how much have you guys been charged in the past for a transfer. This was going from Rosyth back to Kent. Our RFD who I trust implicitly tells me TNT want £60.00, is this too much or is it about right? I'm aware they have me over a barrel as this is not exactly wanted as first class post, I have no idea so your experiences in these matters would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Tommy

I've now hovered for a few weeks, reading and learning and drooling over some lovely rifles you guys have but now I need some advice.

I stupidly bought a rifle and spare barrel as a stopgap option while saving for a custom job I want built at some point next year. When the gunsmith at my club checked it out, both were showing signs of corrosion and the spare barrel was too wide for the woodwork on the rifle. All had to be sent back. There was no problem with the seller accepting the return and our gunsmith also the RFD organised the return.

Here's the question how much have you guys been charged in the past for a transfer. This was going from Rosyth back to Kent. Our RFD who I trust implicitly tells me TNT want £60.00, is this too much or is it about right? I'm aware they have me over a barrel as this is not exactly wanted as first class post, I have no idea so your experiences in these matters would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Tommy

I would stand correction; but when I TNT'd a rifle earlier this year the TNT freight charge was £15.

Not organising this myself I believe it was sent priority next day delivery but would this push up the price £45? I went to TNT and put in the package dimensions and weight and was getting charged about £40. I did not state it was a firearm, does that have to be stated and if so does the price now soar?

Hi Tommy,

First of all you have to declare firearms and ammo to TNT as a condition of carriage. An average parcel would be in the £25-30 bracket depending on weight and what type of contract your local RFD has. How much your RFD charges for his time will vary to take into account time spent packaging, labelling, making register entries etc. Hope this is of some help,

Alan

Archived