Front rest ideas?

I am going to buy a front rest and need some advice, I am not sold on how much better a front rest will really be than my bipod but I have built myself a bench and I just think I may as well get one and see, I was thinking of getting one of the sinclair front rest with the rt3 benchrest top, the rifle I want to use it on has a 2 1/2 forend so it should be wide enough for a number 2 style front bag the sinclair is only about $250 so its a resonable price. I like the look of the sinclair as it adjusts down to 5 inches which may be useful for me as my own home range is on a down slop and I might need to pitch the front of the rifle down a bit but it also adjusts right up to 10 inch which is higher than I have ever needed my bipod so I can still use it prone at the mod range down the road from me.

Anybody used the sinclair rest or got any other reccomendations?

I am going to buy a front rest and need some advice, I am not sold on how much better a front rest will really be than my bipod but I have built myself a bench and I just think I may as well get one and see, I was thinking of getting one of the sinclair front rest with the rt3 benchrest top, the rifle I want to use it on has a 2 1/2 forend so it should be wide enough for a number 2 style front bag the sinclair is only about $250 so its a resonable price. I like the look of the sinclair as it adjusts down to 5 inches which may be useful for me as my own home range is on a down slop and I might need to pitch the front of the rifle down a bit but it also adjusts right up to 10 inch which is higher than I have ever needed my bipod so I can still use it prone at the mod range down the road from me.

Anybody used the sinclair rest or got any other reccomendations?

I am using a Harris 12x27 bipod and more recently one of Garys DogGoneGood nedium bench bags bags. Off a bench the bag should work well, it works ok off the Landrover bonnet. I have also fitted an Accupod onto the rear sling swivel point but have found it very slow to use, I am just about to start playing about with a Field bag under the stock again from Gary.

A

got both and bags and other that which promotes growth and vigour too

got caldwell rock br

gone back to bipod br swivel and rear bag cause all my guns shoot better like that with one exception.....

I made and intended to market a steel rear back support that the rear bag sits in for use with a front rest and has adjustable ears to tension up forcing the bag to take the shape of the stock

other fetures were flat base so elliminates side rock

contoured shape ( same lines as bag)

send me a pm/e-mail so when I get home tomorrow I will post pics

this really works with bipod or front rest but its so steady when used with either it elliminates the nead to spend all that money on front rest

downside is its really only suitable for bench rest tack driving

sorry for spelling, getting very tired and half hour after back pills its getting hard to not push three buttons at once

Craigy,

The Sinclairs are okay but not as good as the Bald Eagle which has a rack and pinion primary rise of the centre column.

If you go for the Sinclair i suggest you check out the postage cos they are made out of cast iron.

Have a look st the selection of rests from this guy, they are basically re-badged bald eagles

http://www.varidecicognani.com/prodotti.php?sez=8

one of my buddys has just ordered the RF2 package and being within the EU there is no tax or duty to pay plus shipping is alot less as well.

Ian.

thanks Ian, I will look into them.

Craigy

if you are serious, then be prepared to spend a little, the best (or one of the best rests around is the Farely Co Axial, I know a couple of lads with them and they are sweet to use.

Current xch rate makes them attractive and if you deal direct with Farley, they may send you one marked up as "sample" with nominal value on the weighbill - (or so I have heard)

Check out:

http://farleymfg.com/coaxial/Blackpagecoaxial.html

Graig,

Take a bit of advice,,, Hold on to your money!!! Wait to see if you like benchrest first?? Most of my best groups have been shot off my bipod with a good back bag!!!

The secret is,,,, you must put a folded towel under the front legs!!! this is to stop any bounce on a concrete bench??

Works a treat!!!

All the best darrel

Archived