a day on the stags

Well 7 1/2hrs driving got me to Dunbeath yesterday. A lovely meal and a bit too much to drink last night and I was ready for action this morning.

We went out in the landrover to spot and there were deer everywhere. The rut is in full swing and there were parties of hinds all over the hill and stags chasing and roaring from every nook and cranny. Once a plan had been formulated Billy (my guide) took us on a long swinging arc to get to a stag laid near a fenceline with some hinds. The ground is pretty flat (for the Highlands) and within 45mins we were into the fianl approach. The ground is wringing wet, like a sponge actually, so as we neared the last rise I knew I was going to get wet.

First we crouched, then we crawled and finally we belly crawled until we could see his antlers through the wispy grass in front of us. The ground was so wet that crawling meant that as you put your hand down you were wet above your wrist watch!!

The rifle was set up but our stag must have been sleeping for as the minutes passed he never so much as twitched his antlers. Then one of his hinds stood and as she looked around she clocked us. She wasnt very happy and stood transfixed. Another sensed her uncertaintly and stood. We held our breath, hoping the stag would rise. The hinds were now all up and milling, they then moved to go away from us and passed the stag. This could be disaster if they took him with them. He rose, and as he did so the hinds parted around him. He was quartering away so I aimed a bit back and the shot was away. There was a satisfying "THUD" but Billy said he thought I had hit it too far back!! I was surprised but then the stag lurched forward a few yards and collapsed.

On analysis I was further back than I thought but the exit was spot on and the bullet had passed through all the vitals. The insides were ok so no spoilt carcase either. Very pleased.

IMG-20121008-00259.jpg

A nice nine pointer, going back.

The argo made its way to us to collect the beast and then we made out further onto the moor. I was priveledged today as we were going to go for 2.

There were, once again deer all around us. We watched a couple of stags being chased off and one must of gone 1km before it stopped running, must've had his ass kicked before!! Billy decided to have lunch and let gthings settle. He then went for a spy.

On his return he said we would struggle to get into the mass in front. To one side of us was a good stag, we had watched him half the morning and he had never risen from his bed of heather. I though he was too good for us to take but that was not my call. Billy decided to stalk into him for a better look. The plan was to take a look, if he was too good hope to move him away gemtly and then push further on for a look at 2 other stags behind him.

It was a simple endeavour this time with a 400m walk and then a crawl/swim!! We took our time crawling as for the last 150m we were in full view. It probably took 20 mins to sneak into range. This was the view although you cant make his antlers out.

IMG-20121008-00260.jpg

As we set the rifle up the rain started again and I couldnt see through the scope. As we wiped it we had a stroke of luck, our boy stood up (much better than waiting for hours). A fumbled bipod adjustment and with Billy supporting 1 leg of the bipod by hand I took the shot. It was a bit forward this time but he went straight down (I think I had over corrected). As we went forward Billy asked "were you counting before the shot?", "No, Why?"....

IMG-20121008-00262.jpg

The answer became apparent, a Royal 12 pointer. Also going back though.

And that was that. I helped out back at the larder with each animal weighing about 200lbs. I have had a great day, I usually stalk alone but once a year trip on the stags with a guide is a great chance to learn.

A wee dram is due tonight I think

Thanks for sharing a great day Abolter, off to the hinds in a fortnight myself, must say you've really whet my appetite!

Mike

Archived