muzzle thread sizes

Mash67

hi

i want to standardize my muzzle threads on my rifles and wondered if there is a list of sizes for muzzle threads and barrel profile out there somewhere

is the size dependant on barrel profile somewhat and are gunsmiths using more popular sizes and why

anyone know

The general rule of thumb is to try and put the largest commonly available thread onto the barrel, dependent on the Muzzle OD. So if you could measure your barrel diameters then maybe someone could help.

hi

i want to standardize my muzzle threads on my rifles and wondered if there is a list of sizes for muzzle threads and barrel profile out there somewhere

is the size dependant on barrel profile somewhat and are gunsmiths using more popular sizes and why

anyone know

Hi,

Popular threads vary from 'smith to 'smith and in different areas but the following are popular with my customers:-

Up to .30 cal. on sporter weight barrels, 1/2"x20 UNF, 1/2"x28 UNEF (my favourite), 14 and 15mm x 1mm

Larger calibres and varmint/match barrels, 5/8"x18 UNF, 5/8"x24 UNEF and 15, 16 and 18mm x 1mm

Hope this helps, I choose a thread that gives a good wall thickness at the muzzle while leaving sufficient material for an adequate shoulder,

Alan

I tend not to put 1/2" x 20 on anything but rimfires and .22 centrefires.

I will not put this thread on a .30 calibre barrel, as once the thread is undercut at the shoulder, the barrel is very thin indeed at that point.

5/8" x 18 is probarbly the most common , although my personal favourite is 18mm x 1 if the barrel is thick enough.

Make sure your gunsmith cuts them to spec, either by checking with a ring gauge or another method.Cutting threads to match a sloppy moderator is just that.....sloppy.

I tend not to put 1/2" x 20 on anything but rimfires and .22 centrefires.

I will not put this thread on a .30 calibre barrel, as once the thread is undercut at the shoulder, the barrel is very thin indeed at that point.

5/8" x 18 is probarbly the most common , although my personal favourite is 18mm x 1 if the barrel is thick enough.

Make sure your gunsmith cuts them to spec, either by checking with a ring gauge or another method.Cutting threads to match a sloppy moderator is just that.....sloppy.

Amen to that,

I had to recently rescue a barrel off a rifle built by a well known Yorkshire gunsmith who had threaded to fit the mod and not to an ISO/Ansi standard, and the end result was the stainless PES mod galled solid on the thread and was scrap. It didnt help that the customer decided to try and get it off with a vice, some mole grips and a blowtorch first mind! ( i tend to prefer barrel flutes without bungee great chunks ripped out of them!)

Another thing to consider is if you intend to used the same mod on multiple rifles the thread has to be the largest thread you can get on the smallest barrel. 5/8 is still too big for most stalking weight barrels.

Archived