New stock,AI ,MANNERS, McMillan ?.??

jonathan.308

Thinking of getting a new stock for my semy custom Remington 700 , thinking of manners adjustable or mcmillan 3-5 adjustable or AI looking for some good advice from people how have had eney of these stocks.

Thinking of getting a new stock for my semy custom Remington 700 , thinking of manners adjustable or mcmillan 3-5 adjustable or AI looking for some good advice from people how have had eney of these stocks.

I like my AICS stock very much, but I would suggest that you try before you buy as the thumb hole stock is very much a marmite thing with most people. Of course, there is the option of the Viper Skins later if you don't get on with the thumb hole.

A great advantage of the AICS is that the 'bottom metal' is integral to the design, which probably represents a saving overall. The metal chassis also means that you can bolt it straight in an getting shooting right away. If you feel the need, you can always get it properly bedded later.

I've no direct experience of the other two designs, but if I was shopping in this area again, I would seriously consider the E-Tac from PSE Composites.

Plus one for the e-tac !

I have shot a McMIllan A3 a lot; and have started using an Etac in the past months..... go for the Etac.

Better grip, nicer forend, better engineered, great material and quality construction, adj. cheekpiece, lightweight, ... what else can you ask for.

No experience with the AICS but it will be more than 2-3 lbs heavier than the Etac.

My experience/ opinion fwiw

Macmillan a5

Relatively short, fat grip ( likened to an apple) shortish reach for trigger. butt hook not parallel to bore so easier to make small corrections for elevation if using an ear type rear bag. wide forend but tapers to muzzle. not quite as stiff as a manners stock. Cheek adjuster on mine although easy to adjust could become loose after a few shots so had to regularly check it was tight. ( could have just been mine) finish can be a little rough but hard wearing.

Overall I liked it.

Manners t4a

Longer grip than a5 ( suit larger

hands)

Longer reach for trigger

very stiff. has a deep forend and a butt hook both are parallel to the bore. rides bags very well but small adjustments done by squeezing bag rather than bag position as a5. a better stock if you have a very heavy barrel(why I changed from a5)

the paint on the manners isn't very hard wearing and quite easy to mark/chip. not sure what it is (anyone know) will get Dave to ceracote mine one day but I can live with it for now. cheek adjustment needs an Allen key but once set won't work loose.

I've had to modify my grip to reach the trigger because I have small hands but now I'm used to it I really like this stock.

Ai.

as has been said a marmite stock. works ok but not the most ergonomic design. As I said, I have small hands and the grip and reach is fine for me. The v block bedding works ok ( as does the manners mini chassis) if looking for ultimate accuracy you'll probably need to look at bedding but if you're careful with the torque settings its possible to get some very good results. The standard skins are plastic so feel a bit cheap but they seem pretty tough and easy enough to replace. can't speak for the viper skins never handled them. Some of the extras can be a bit more expensive too. eg if you're going to fit an atlas its going to cost you a bit more for the adaptor or spigot version. same true with the monopods. Harris is no problem however.

If you're looking at thumbhole stocks the t5a is worth a look. Much more ergonomic than an ai. lighter and very stiff. a tapered forend like a5 with parallel butt hook.

Hth. just my 2p. my typing finger tired now :D

My favourites have always been McMillan,s and probarbly always will be. Their styles are the best to my eyes/way of shooting. They are well made with a huge variety of choice. Easy to work with and inletting is accurate.

I also like their marbled gel-coats.

Manners.

Despite having a ready stock of them, they are second on my list. They are heavier than the Mac,s due to more resin being used in their construction. Again, very well made, with very accurate inletting. I dont use the mini chassis, because no chassis is ever going to match quality bedding for perfect fit.

If a stock cannot be bedded, its on no use to me on a full blown custom rifle.

The paint used on the manners is Polane.

Incidentally [rabbit fingers ] Ceracote H cannot be used on stocks because they need baking at 300 degrees. The only ceracote you can use is the air dry stuff, and its garbage.Duracoat gives a far better and longer lasting finish as its two pack and can be gently baked.

AICS

Good, time proven design, but i wish they would listen to comments that have been made for years about grip length etc. These are a chassis, but can be bedded, and benefit greatly from them.

E-tac

no experience of them. In all honesty, i,m not a fan of the shapes, nor of the inletting on Edi,s stocks, but thats just my opinion. Everyone seems to like them who owns one, so definatly one to check out.

IF you are going to use a Rem700 type action or clone , then I like the McM for a fixed stock , IF you want a folder then its a Manners w/molded camo .

For me , the AICS suits a Badger M2008 action as its about as close to a AI AW action as you will get at the moment .

Later Chris

IF you are going to use a Rem700 type action or clone , then I like the McM for a fixed stock , IF you want a folder then its a Manners w/molded camo .

For me , the AICS suits a Badger M2008 action as its about as close to a AI AW action as you will get at the moment .

Later Chris

Thank you for all the info very good , Looks like comes down to personal preference over the manners T5a and the Mccmillan A5 a, I like the look of both so I will try to get one of them, thank you again, do you no if Any are inlet for a AI bottom mettle?.

Jonathan.

Archived