HOWA RIFLES?

This is a bit like the bolting horse and the open stable door, but having just ordered a heavy barrelled synthetic stocked HOWA 1500 in .243 I wondered what the general opinions of them were?

I have looked at several .243's but this seems to fit the bill and the pocket and have a good reputation for accuracy!!

I don't know about the .243's, but I've owned several HB .223's and they were extremely accurate rifles. The triggers usually needed adjusting (and in one case, replaced), the stock was, well, plastic. But any stock for a Weatherby Vanguard will fit the Howa 1500 (except having to open up the barrel channel).

Average groups across four .223 rifles were 1/2 MOA (generally). I had one that was consistently in the high .2's, which really shocked me considering the price of them at the time ($330 for the barreled action).

Hope yours turns out as well, and you're happy with your purchase...

MarinePMI gave that quarter-minute Howa .223 to my teenage son a few years back and except for the trigger, which was scrapped in favor of a Timney, we have done nothing to it except feed it good ammo. I can vouch that it is a very accurate rifle and more to the point of this thread, very well built. The plastic stocks are spineless and the triggers junk, but the barreled actions are very good, indeed. We still haven't decided on a new stock but will by the summer prairiedog season.~Andrew

MarinePMI gave that quarter-minute Howa .223 to my teenage son a few years back and except for the trigger, which was scrapped in favor of a Timney, we have done nothing to it except feed it good ammo. I can vouch that it is a very accurate rifle and more to the point of this thread, very well built. The plastic stocks are spineless and the triggers junk, but the barreled actions are very good, indeed. We still haven't decided on a new stock but will by the summer prairiedog season.~Andrew

The Howa laminated stocks are very good and once bedded are excellent varmint platforms. I believe they are Fajen or one of the other well known laminate stock makers.

If its not a carry rifle I would see this as a very cheap option. :D

K,

Yes, the laminate stocks are very nice (and heavy). The Howa's flat bottomed action also makes it one of the few enjoyable actions to bed.

I believe their stocks are made by Boyds. I put one on a fast twist 22-250 FN Mauser. Their VIP (Virtual Inlet Part) stocks need very little work (save the final sand and finish on the outside).

I'll post a pic of that rifle later today (as it is on my work laptop)...

Yeah I have heard this of the Older-style synthetic stocks, but the new ones (like I have on order ;) ) are now pillar-bedded into synthetic HOGUE stocks so I am expecting good things..........

I certainly will, for now heres a boring picture of my old faithful .308 BROWNING A-bolt II,

if the new HOWA .243 can group like this ole'girl can with factory fodder I'll be laughing my socks off :);) !!

.308 BROWNING A-bolt II

browninga-bolt-2.jpg

3 shots WINCHESTER Super X 150grns @ 100rds

3shotgroup.jpg

Archived