Looking for new Scope

JOHN444334

Hi

Looking new scope about 4-12x50 AO, Its job is sitting on top of .222 for foxing, Its life will be spent in the landrover bouncing round with the spaniels.

My thought is to have a scope cheap enough to replace if it breaks and not worry me when it gets scratched. My budget is under £100!

Has anyone used a scope in this price bracket and been please with its ruggedness, its performance and longevity?

Hi

Looking new scope about 4-12x50 AO, Its job is sitting on top of .222 for foxing, Its life will be spent in the landrover bouncing round with the spaniels.

My thought is to have a scope cheap enough to replace if it breaks and not worry me when it gets scratched. My budget is under £100!

Has anyone used a scope in this price bracket and been please with its ruggedness, its performance and longevity?

save up , spend a bit more , look after your optics! :D

hi john

got a bushnell banner 6-18x50 complete with butler creeks and box, very good condition, no scatches etc.

just taken it off 17 firball after buying a sightron

got another of these on my 243, no problems holding zero

looking for £80.00 plus p&p

cheers jock

Spending more on a Scope for a truck gun would defeated the object!

For a 'truck rifle'-implicitly,not very expensive-if not exactly disposable-I'd rather have a very short rifle,det mag,like a cut down old BRNO Fox-222- with a fast wide angle scope-we are not going to be talking bench rest here-(it's one of the few niches for even a mini 14/30!)-and unless the last few seconds of light really matter often,and I had an EEC subsidy,I would not have £1000+ scope being abused.(Labs had a chew on my old 2-7 weaver wide angle,old but it was steel and survived.I know my nightforces are pretty robust,but has anyone really tested scopes being bounced about for hours in a land rover-I mean any scopes,including the top market ones-military might have beeen,but won't be high mag etc-though that might be an advantage for a 'rifle of opportunity',from cab window-sometimes simples is best!? Older keepers will remember Pecar scopes-eg-but I don't know if they really were very durable-but their (ab)users might!

george

the military treat their stuff as rough as anyone but you don't see them fitting cheap scopes and send a box of replacements do you?

i wouldn't spend a grand but i would find a secondhand 6x42 schmidt or similar and go with that?

The main problem is a cheap scope is unlikely to hold zero if knocked about. at least none of mine would. personally I'd go for a 6x42 or 8x56 Schmidt or similar you could always tape a bit of dense foam around it if its really going to get some hammer. I'd rather spend a few hundred once than 70-80 several times and also be wondering every time I put the crosshair on something if the shot is going to go where I'm pointing.

the military treat their stuff as rough as anyone but you don't see them fitting cheap scopes and send a box of replacements do you?

i wouldn't spend a grand but i would find a secondhand 6x42 schmidt or similar and go with that?

Sort of agree-but the 'military' don't personally pay for their gear,and have rather more critical operational requirements-nor do they fit second hand S&Bs.Which won't be £80 either-perhaps nothing suitable will,but that was the question asked.-be interesting to find out if the S&B does take the punishment,even if it's 'just'' 6x-better 6x that works than ...anything that doesn't!!Agreeing more....but we've changed the goal posts.

george

The main problem is a cheap scope is unlikely to hold zero if knocked about. at least none of mine would. personally I'd go for a 6x42 or 8x56 Schmidt or similar you could always tape a bit of dense foam around it if its really going to get some hammer. I'd rather spend a few hundred once than 70-80 several times and also be wondering every time I put the crosshair on something if the shot is going to go where I'm pointing.

Spot on quote !

Spot on quote !

Plus one on that quote aswell, id never have a cheap scope even if it was on a 22 for rabbiting. No need to spend loads mate but id go half way at least, it will pay off in the end im sure ;) Hang around you might pick a good one up secon hand.

Archived