finishing a joe West rifle stock

jeffo223

I went to the Midland game fair and had a good look at the Joe West rifle stocks and thought that they were fantastic!!! I want to order a couple of stocks but my DIY skills are non existent so my question is has anyone brought one of these stocks? What sort of a job was it to finish off? Did you action drop straight in? Really want a couple of stocks but the finishing puts me off a bit, I know they have a finishing service but would like to keep costs down plus if it is fairly straight forward to do the stocks it good to say " I have done it! ".

Its not complicated, just requires a bit of time and patience. They supplied mine with a generous amount of finished products, sandpaper, tru-oil etc. its hard to get wrong as truoil is very forgiving and any marks you find can just be further sanded and re finished, simples

as Hatzi says,

its all down to patience as to what sort of finish you get.

i bought a richards stock several years ago and used a True Oil finishing kit to finish it. to be honest, it wasnt difficult just time consuming waiting for the individual coats to dry. the more coats and the finer the sand paper/ steel wool the better

have a look at this vid from boyds

cheers jock

I went to the Midland game fair and had a good look at the Joe West rifle stocks and thought that they were fantastic!!! I want to order a couple of stocks but my DIY skills are non existent so my question is has anyone brought one of these stocks? What sort of a job was it to finish off? Did you action drop straight in? Really want a couple of stocks but the finishing puts me off a bit, I know they have a finishing service but would like to keep costs down plus if it is fairly straight forward to do the stocks it good to say " I have done it! ".

The wood finish was so smooth on mine that I didn't even have to do an initial sanding; just started straight on with the oil.

If you can hold a piece of steel wool and rub it against a a piece of wood you have the full skillset required to finish the stock from there :)

All the kit is supplied. It's really really easy :)

i think youll find that joe will make the action fit fairly well , need no or very little bedding if you wanted to go that way

speak to joe or simon on this forum simon is dorg on here

Got a Tac thumbhole on order for my 595, looking forward to some quality in this stock, may even try and fit the action with no bedding just to see how it shoots.

Tony.

Archived