Binoculars with laser rangefinder and reticle

Do tell. Other than range and windage determination what use is the reticle?

Mark

Graticules aren't in military binos for range finding, they're there for adjusting indirect fire :)

Yes. That sort of thing. I don't observe for artillery but adjusting direct fire is useful too.

If someone shoots at a tin can in front of a wall and misses a bit to the left, I can use the reticle/reticule/graticule to measure the angle between the pock mark in the wall and the tin can and tell them to adjust x.y mil(s) right.

Yes. That sort of thing. I don't observe for artillery but adjusting direct fire is useful too.

If someone shoots at a tin can in front of a wall and misses a bit to the left, I can use the reticle/reticule/graticule to measure the angle between the pock mark in the wall and the tin can and tell them to adjust x.y mil(s) right.

Fair enough. :) Always find it slightly odd that sniper;s hide has built the impression that rets are only for judging range -when that's about the last thing they're for unless all other kit is non-functional and you've lost your map...or it's the 1960s again :rolleyes:

I don't find binos to have enough mag for adjusting distant rifle fire, I suspect that's probably why the features are not often combined.

BD , you onto it , I donot look at the reticle in any optic , as a aid to milling for range estimation , I have always looked at it as a means of adjusting fire eihter direct or indirect fire , ALSO as a aid to talking another person onto a tgt from a major feature/reference point etc .

Never been into the mil/ranging thing , as far as I am concerned thier are much better & more accurate ways to calculate your range to tgt .

I see milling as something to fill in a sniper course and get the guys used to looking thru thier optics etc , rather than a real needed skill .

I see milling as only accurate at short range 0-450m , and at that range , you can be come quite good at guessing with aid of map etc quicker , also the traj is not too curved at these ranges to cause a miss .

For me , its a Mil LRF or a Theodolite .

Later Chris

Archived