Scope advice

Hi there, I've been lurking in the background for some time but this is my first thread in the discussion forums. I wondered if someone might offer some advice.......

I am looking for a scope to go on a new 6mm-284 that I am having built at the moment. Its a BAT action sat in a McMillan F-class stock and I plan on using it primarily for F-Class and long range vermin..... As the thread says really, does anyone have any advice re a scope? I have looked at all the usual candidates: Zeiss, Schmidt and Nightforce, I am slightly concerned about the available reticules with the Zeiss and whether or not they will be suitable for the F-class side of things. Can anyone with experience of these bigger scopes give me an opinion? Thanks in advance.

Easiest way is to let us know what your budget is and how much of it's work will be F class or varminting?

If you're on a budget I would say the 8-32x56 NF NXS with the NP-2DD ret if there's not a budget then it's the March 5-50x56 illuminated with the MTR-2 ret

Easiest way is to let us know what your budget is and how much of it's work will be F class or varminting?

If you're on a budget I would say the 8-32x56 NF NXS with the NP-2DD ret if there's not a budget then it's the March 5-50x56 illuminated with the MTR-2 ret

Thanks very much for the response. It will mainly be F-class but I do intend to do some long range rabbit whopping. Probably 90% target work though.

I don't have limitless cash (wish i did!) but want to get the best possible, wretched rifle has cost enough so I don't want to go and scimp on the scope!

Haven't even looked through a March yet so will definitely go and do some digging- thank you.

Like Ian an NXS 8-32 or a 12-42 with a NP-2DD fits the bill nicely.

I have moved over to a March scope as the glass is better than Nightforce.

I also like the MTM 2 ret which is similar to the NP2dd but has further divisions.

I also prefer the 1/8th clicks on the March and standard zero stop turrets.

If you look at getting a new Night Force with all these features then the price gets very close to the March.

Gary from March scopes is a site sponsor so click on the banner if you dare as it might get expensive :o:lol:

Cheers

Dave

Well if you're using it for 90% F class don't make a compromise! Any ret that's good enough for vermin shooting will be to big for F class, the NF NP-2DD being the only one I would consider being the exception, and even this looks like a tennis ball for a centre dot compared with the March MTR-2.

Buy a scope for out and out F class, then maybe in a year or so's time buy a cheaper varminting scope and a set of rings and just swop the two scopes over when need be.

• 7 months later...
Hi there, I've been lurking in the background for some time but this is my first thread in the discussion forums. I wondered if someone might offer some advice.......

I am looking for a scope to go on a new 6mm-284 that I am having built at the moment. Its a BAT action sat in a McMillan F-class stock and I plan on using it primarily for F-Class and long range vermin..... As the thread says really, does anyone have any advice re a scope? I have looked at all the usual candidates: Zeiss, Schmidt and Nightforce, I am slightly concerned about the available reticules with the Zeiss and whether or not they will be suitable for the F-class side of things. Can anyone with experience of these bigger scopes give me an opinion? Thanks in advance.

go with zeiss or you will be sorry they are simply the best

look on the GB f class web site theres a March for sale at good money-IF thats not in your budget as Elwood suggested NF-I have the BR model on a 6.5x284 for f class out to 1000yds it does my needs also look at the sightron range i have a 32-56 on my 6x47 switch barrel used for bench rest[in 6ppc] and short range f class for the money very hard to beat,and you get a free cap! :D

+1 For the Sightron.

Many people believe the glass is out standing. The choices are pretty good in Magnification but I think SIII 8-32X56 will suit you pretty well.

In fact, I have a couple on order at the moment as I can't afford a NF, wish I could but I can't and a mate has decided to get another to replace a Vortex he has on his 22-250.

Been doing plenty of looking myself, Leupold VX3L, Zeiss HD5,Vortex Viper PST and Weaver Tactical all got a look but the Sightron has the glass and repeatability with the decent price tag.

I have been shooting with a Nikon for a while, had a few of them too and they are really nice glass for the money but the step up was too far to a NF so the Sightron will do... tell you what too, I had a gaze at the March line of scopes. WOW.

+1 For the Sightron.

Many people believe the glass is out standing. The choices are pretty good in Magnification but I think SIII 8-32X56 will suit you pretty well.

In fact, I have a couple on order at the moment as I can't afford a NF, wish I could but I can't and a mate has decided to get another to replace a Vortex he has on his 22-250.

Been doing plenty of looking myself, Leupold VX3L, Zeiss HD5,Vortex Viper PST and Weaver Tactical all got a look but the Sightron has the glass and repeatability with the decent price tag.

I have been shooting with a Nikon for a while, had a few of them too and they are really nice glass for the money but thestep up was too far to a NF so the Sightron will do... tell you what too, I had a gaze at the March line of scopes. WOW.[/quote

Always get the very best(?)

I took the Boxster down to the supermarket a while back,and parked beside a Turbo 911.

A nice little crowd gathered.

I'ts not often you get to see well over £150k of cars that struggle between them to get 10 plastic bags inside,but the 911 managed better.

Gbal

Archived