221 Fireball

Hi,,,looking to have a 221 Fireball put together on a Sako 75 action and can someone give me a clue as to what reamer spec would be best to get,,,I will be looking for a min spec chamber and a fairly short throat as keen to get generous portion of the head in the neck and stay close to lands . Will more than likely be using the 40g v max or 40g blitz king.I expect some of you Smith,y's have done this calibre so looking for your knowledgable comments please and also from any users of this calibre regarding their experiences in loading ,heads ,powder and field performance.Thanks Onehole.

I have a reamer set for bullets of this weight.

Its a standard reamer. The case was designed to run these weights as it was designed for pistols [the long range variety ]

I have a 1 in 14" twist border sat here awaiting fitting to a nice little remmy model seven i aquired....to turn into a long barrelled pistol....heh heh... :D

Its not a common chambering over here. I would look to the US forums for help, and be prepared to go back a bit. Its not a new chambering.

ONEHOLE- if you let me spend your money i would go 20 vartarg with that action,same parent case, easy to form cases easy to load and shoot like dream..20 cal also has a good B.c.and with a 22-24" bbl you will get a 40gn skipping along at 3400-3500fps.with a life time to wear out the bbl.

just a thought.

Thanks guys for early replys,,,think I should have mentioned reason for this build and calibre is that I,m getting inconsistent performance from my 17hmr and am frequently wounding or missing buns after 130/40 ish,,,,its probably the ammo or batch mixed with wind effects that the hmr don,t like very much but just want a 0 to 200 calibre no more really for use on open moorland fields. I have other rifles to do distance but don,t want to waste their barrel lives on these for shortish bunnies.Onehole.

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys for early replys,,,think I should have mentioned reason for this build and calibre is that I,m getting inconsistent performance from my 17hmr and am frequently wounding or missing buns after 130/40 ish,,,,its probably the ammo or batch mixed with wind effects that the hmr don,t like very much but just want a 0 to 200 calibre no more really for use on open moorland fields. I have other rifles to do distance but don,t want to waste their barrel lives on these for shortish bunnies.Onehole.

What did you end up with??

Archived