Gong problems

oaken

Gongs

I have been having some difficulties with my gongs.

I have been experimenting with various ways of hanging 9, 6 and 4 inch 8mm thick hardox disks. The problem is that a direct hit totally destroys the chains, D shackles and mounting bolts. I have tried steel cable but that is like butter to a centerfire round. Also tried multi strands of cord but that is shredded by the bullet shrapnel, it also means the gong bounces around too much.

Also the 8mm plate is too thin. Several hits in the same spot with my .243 at 70yds results in a hole! I am getting some more disks made out of 10mm hardox so this should prevent this from happening.

Has anyone else had these problems? How have you overcome them and what is the best way to hang your gong for a long life?

I need to find a way for the plates to withstand several hundred hits so any advice gratefully received.

Rup

Not personal experience but conveyer belt matting/rubber has been mentioned in all the research I have conducted.

Tell me more. Do you stick the gong onto a strip of mat hanging from some kind of crossbar ?

Also the plates have to be able to move freely to disipate all the energy.

My first tests used quite long chains and I found that a direct hit either wound the gong up the support like a cotton reel or twisted the chains up leaving the gong perched at a useless angle.

I use shorter chains now ;)

I also found that by fixing the chain to the back with bolts causes the gong to face down slightly. This has two advantages, firstly that shrapnel is deflected downwards and second, the impact is not square on so causing far less distress to the gong. The plates that now have holes in them were hung vertically from D shackles and took "full force" square on hits.

I was thinking about this last night and thought bicycle intertube may work well butt conveyor belt would be better, especially the stuff with steel wire through it. You should be able to just bolt it on too.

I did get some V High (12.9) tensile bolts to try too but I have accidentally left them in Sheffield. :blush:

Has anyone got an old conveyed belt going spare or do i need to break into sainburys tonight?

Camo - 70 yds minimum. the idea was to literally test to destruction. If it lasts at 70 then it should be bullet proof at any range.

Rich. What do the numbers on the bolts mean?

I got some big chunky dome headed coach bolts to try next. they have 4.8 stamped on them. they file easily so reckon they must be soft. Also got some case hardened chain at vast expense eek!

Has anyone got an old conveyed belt going spare or do i need to break into sainburys tonight?

Camo - 70 yds minimum. the idea was to literally test to destruction. If it lasts at 70 then it should be bullet proof at any range.

Rich. What do the numbers on the bolts mean?

I got some big chunky dome headed coach bolts to try next. they have 4.8 stamped on them. they file easily so reckon they must be soft. Also got some case hardened chain at vast expense eek!

Get some high tensile fencing wire from the farmer. Thats what i use and mine havent snapped in over 1000 rounds at them.

Don't know what caliber your shooting at them, but I started off with HT Fencing wire and found it twisted all over the place and I couldn't keep the gongs facing the right way. Any chance of a photo of your fencing wire setup?

I would second the plain high tensile fencing wire. It can be a pain to work with but with two 'arms' coming into the gong at 10 and 2 o clock to prevent the gong twisting works ok with the .338LM. I just have holes in the gongs big enough to allow several thickness’s of plain wire to get through.

I take it you have the two holes as described above ?? (i.e) 10 & 2 on your gongs. Take two fence posts and drive them in about 4ft apart. Then take your wire and wrap one end around the post and secure with a fencing staple. Now take the other end and feed it through one hole of the gong and back out the other hole. Then staple the other end to the second post making sure you have the gong at the right height. If you need to just slide the gong along the wire to get central.

Make sure though when you feed the wire through the gong you do it from the front as if you go through from the back you will leave a bit of wire on the face of the gong that will get shot.

Believe me if you use HT wire they will last you a good while. Like i say well over 1000 rounds down our range and there still in tact.

Im hitting mine with 7mm 180 bergers and a friends 200 odd grain 300 win mag so there not pee shooters.

Sorry no pics as im out in Saudi at the mo.

Ads

OK Ads

I will have another go with the HT Fencing wire. I had two separate lengths looped through each hole as got sick of chasing the gongs down hill when the wire parted.

I think part of the trouble I have had is that the plate used is only 8mm and doesn't have the mass to absorb the hits. It bounces around like a mad thing.

Thanks

Rup

Yeah maybe because our gongs are all 10mm armourlite. That being said they aonly swing gently when hit. Just make sure it is high tensile, you will know it as its a bugger to bend and quite thin.

Ads

Archived