Parker Hale target rifles

Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of reading recently after deciding that I'd like to have a go at long range shooting. I understand that my hunting rifles aren't up to much with the low powered scopes I have on them and to be honest I'm happy with the way they are so don't want to change them, so I need to look into getting myself a rifle and scope setup that is suitable.

In a perfect world I would get myself a TRG22 or an AI, but I can't. The club I shoot in has an AI club gun for members to use and my mate has a TRG, but I would really like to get my own setup going on a budget.

I remember in my days of heavy posting on here that Silentsouls (Jamie?) had a Parker Hale, and another guy who's name I can't remember. Varminter perhaps? I see that Jamie hasn't been on for a long time which is a shame as I really liked the guy and he helped me a huge amount with my newbie questions! Back on topic though, I've seen these PH's sell for between £100-£400 and if they work well then that's the sort of thing I can afford to play with.

I was thinking of topping it with an EB 20x scope as I've heard great things about them too.

Now I know that you get what you pay for etc, but not all of us can afford the big bucks top quality kit that's out there. Can I get by with the stuff I've mentioned or am I flogging a dead horse with my budget (£500ish). All I really want is a basic but accurate rifle and a scope that I can learn to dial in my range with. I've been watching the series on miltary snipers on sky and the long range bug is starting to bite!

Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of reading recently after deciding that I'd like to have a go at long range shooting. I understand that my hunting rifles aren't up to much with the low powered scopes I have on them and to be honest I'm happy with the way they are so don't want to change them, so I need to look into getting myself a rifle and scope setup that is suitable.

In a perfect world I would get myself a TRG22 or an AI, but I can't. The club I shoot in has an AI club gun for members to use and my mate has a TRG, but I would really like to get my own setup going on a budget.

I remember in my days of heavy posting on here that Silentsouls (Jamie?) had a Parker Hale, and another guy who's name I can't remember. Varminter perhaps? I see that Jamie hasn't been on for a long time which is a shame as I really liked the guy and he helped me a huge amount with my newbie questions! Back on topic though, I've seen these PH's sell for between £100-£400 and if they work well then that's the sort of thing I can afford to play with.

I was thinking of topping it with an EB 20x scope as I've heard great things about them too.

Now I know that you get what you pay for etc, but not all of us can afford the big bucks top quality kit that's out there. Can I get by with the stuff I've mentioned or am I flogging a dead horse with my budget (£500ish). All I really want is a basic but accurate rifle and a scope that I can learn to dial in my range with. I've been watching the series on miltary snipers on sky and the long range bug is starting to bite!

very acurate rifles buddy!

in fact you have PM:-P

several chaps on here seen mine in action & rays(varminter) & jamies (silentsoles) are all great shooting rifles!

cheers Andy

That .308 PH of Skanys is stupidly accurate. I've seen it in action and was impressed and very, very surprised.

In fact if one came up at a good price i could be tempted :-) but hens teeth come to mind....

Rup

That .308 PH of Skanys is stupidly accurate. I've seen it in action and was impressed and very, very surprised.

In fact if one came up at a good price i could be tempted :-) but hens teeth come to mind....

Rup

Hi rup

she is a beaut mate but she may have to go!(new toy could force my hand!)

i need to speak to you at some point regarding ur sightron wraps to:-P

cheers Andy

you can more than get by with the kit your talking about , i think you'll find that most people on here started much the same as you (with what they could afford at the time) i know i did and really enjoyed myself so i would crack on but be warned you are on a slippery slope because once you get the bug all reason will leave you !

Rup

I've had a short chat with skany about his rifle and it sounds great. Trouble is by the time my Hornet build is done and paid for and my variation is through it may be a little over budget and has come up just a bit too soon for me.

For what he's asking it's not a bad deal. There could be just the rifle you're looking for right here... If I could take it I think I would!

I remember using one in my younger years on a regular basis. It was a very accurate rifle. We were shooting out to 800yds on open sights and people were regularly getting v bulls with these rifles. As others have stupidly accurate.........and not too pricey either. :)

Had a single shot PH in 308 off Norman clark fitted with a fixed 20 power scope, shooting 155 scenars, this rifle was more than capable and regulary hitting the black of a 300yd target at 1100yds at sennybridge

think the whole set up was about £550 if memory serves

go for it, wont go far wrong

Ian

Just be aware , that a lot of the old PH Target rifles are quite old , and as such most of them have shoot a lot of rounds and the barrels are either stuffed or close to it .

Also most had a 1-14 twist as far as I know , the M85 had a 1-12 , so depending on the weight of bullet you want to use , may not stabilise it .

IF it was me , I would as a matter of cousre price in a new barrel , so as such would want one real cheap for it to make any sense .

Later Chris

Archived