Shining a barrel

Hello all a quick question for the gunsmiths on here! My rifle barrel is a pacnor on my r700 finished in the raw not bead blasted and it looks a bit dull any way of shining it up by hand! What's best practice? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rob

I place barrels between centres on a high speed wood working lathe, or in the case of a finished barrel on the lathe with the bed protected.

Spin at 2000 rpm, with flat, use 800 through to 1500 wet n dry tilll you remove the high spots and attain a reasonable polish, then I use autosol

Hi Rob,

The way to eliminate marks and the rivels (waviness) left from barrel manufacture is by barrel 'striking'. This is done by draw filing and polishing by succesively finer grades of abrasive cloth used with wood and cork backing blocks. In the manufacture of Best Quality rifles (and shotguns) barrels are always polished lengthways. You can check for rivels by holding the barrel up to the light and looking down it from the muzzle end. If the 'shine' is in a dead straight line with no waviness than the barrel has been 'struck up' and polished to a high standard,

Alan

Archived