Split Stock Advice Needed

forbie

Was at the range on Saturday and my groups were laddering (again) A club member spoke to me about the rifle I had and told me a few things about two others that came from the same dealer. In all honesty it has nothing to do with the dealer he just got three of them from his supplier. The other two were returned with the same problem and nothing was mentioned to me apart from a young lad at the shop saying the above about the other two.

I have had the rifle for a few years and was only used for hinds at the end of the season do didn't get much use. Started doing more target shooting with it and the stock has cracked. It's a Steyr CISM 308 20" barrel Laminated stock.

Done a lot of scouring the net and by all accounts this seems to be recoverable by filling the crack with glue by using fishing line or floss and clamping. Others say drill and insert a loose dowel and glue it in. I took the gun apart on Saturday and am not too impressed with the bedding job. Seems a strange way of doing it and am sure it can be improved upon. With a lot more support in the magazine well etc etc

McMillan do a couple of stocks for the SBS action which this rifle is based on from £666 to £782. Now in my eyes this has to be repaired but if the stock can't be saved and I have to buy a replacement I would want it rebarreld to at least a 30-32 inch barrel which I was thinking about anyway along with a paint job on the stock as I used to do some airbrush work

I know a few smiths frequent the boards and I know the Steyr barrels aren't the best to change and some won't touch them. BUT who does and will rebarrel them? Is the action good enough for a 30 32 inch barrel for FTR and long range stuff. I have added a few pics. Some of previous airbrush work too just to perk meself up.

Any help advice wil be greatly apreciated thanks.

Armalon are threading this action to accept their barrels, and at a good price too.

Dont know anyone else who does. I certainly wouldn,t.

Hi Forbie,

For some reason I can't open your photos so I am unable to comment about repairs to your stock. However, with most cracks in wooden stocks the following pprocedures apply.

If there is any contamination in the crack (oil, dust etc.) clean out with solvent (alcohol or similar) and blow out with compressed air

Work a good quality 2 part epoxy into the crack

Heat up a file tang or similar in a flame and apply to the epoxy so that it flows into the crack, it stinks!

Clamp overnight using cork jaws in a bench vice or similar

Armalon do rebarrel Steyrs, one of our members had to take legal action as his rifle was returned in an unusable state. The rifle had to be sent to Austria to be sorted and was away for several months,

Alan

can't open the pictures either.

I have in the past fixed splits of inlets by degreasing, milling a 4mm wide slot under 45 deg into the corner

of say tang area and filling the milled out volume with a straight carbon roving/epoxy. Super thin laminating epoxy runs into

the cracks and the rovings give huge strength.

edi

I will try a single photo I spoke to a gunsmith at Newark who had done them before but seemed unwilling to do more He might.

I used the flash uploader for the photos you may need to update your flash player to see them possibly

Well numpty me didn't realise you couldn't upload directly My link

Does the photo link work on this post? First time posting photos through photobucket

Yes,

should be no problem to fix that.

could even think of inserting a machine screw through it.

Sunk either side and filled with epoxy to re-paint.

Before tightening the screw fill crack with epoxy.

As always on important jobs, use slow setting epoxy

not the 5 minute stuff.

edi

Archived