How to return an action back to stainless

Elwood

I have a stainless steel action that has been vapour blasted and I would like to return it back to its original condition.

Please I don't want any guess work here, I need a formula that is proven as the action will have to match a polished stainless barrel.

Can anyone help?

Vipers are probably about the worst action you could have picked for this! The integral picatinny rail is going to be an arse. Your going to have to work up through the grits with a piece of flat ground bar stock as a backer. If the vapour blasting isn't too rough then you should be able to start at 6-800 grit, use long fluid strokes changing direction with each grit so you can be sure you have removed the previous scratches. Once you have gone through the wet/dry papers then work through some 3M micron finishing papers. After this you should be able to polish to a shiny finish with some metal polish. I can't stress enough how important it is to use high quality abrasives, otherwise you will never get rid of the large scratches from oversize abrasive particles. Be very careful of using buffing wheels, they can round over all your sharp edges, and your £1400 action will look crap.

Sell it as a vapor blasted action and buy another shiney one.

I wouldnt have thought the costs involved would make this viable. You could always blast the barrel and go for a matte finish.....

MArk

Sell it as a vapor blasted action and buy another shiney one.

I wouldnt have thought the costs involved would make this viable. You could always blast the barrel and go for a matte finish.....

MArk

I wish! A quality hand polishing job on such an action would not be more than 20% of the action cost,

Alan

Archived