Zeiss reticle

tikkajohn

Hi guys looking for a bit of advice,

Im about to put down a deposit on a zeiss victory 6-24x56.

It will be used for varminting and informal gongs etc on top of a .223,

Ive been looking at both reticle 60 and 43 illuminated.

How would the size of the dot on no.60 be with long range rabbits/crows would it cover to much of them.

Any reccomendations appreciated atb john

I don’t use a #60 ret but I do use an illuminated #43 ret and an illuminated #63 ret in the Zeiss 6-24x56.

Both were acquired for dealing with small targets at long range. I prefer the #63 but that is no longer available I believe. The #43 ret will be an excellent choice.

ATB

I don’t use a #60 ret but I do use an illuminated #43 ret and an illuminated #63 ret in the Zeiss 6-24x56.

Both were acquired for dealing with small targets at long range. I prefer the #63 but that is no longer available I believe. The #43 ret will be an excellent choice.

ATB

Thanks for the reply Its much better to hear from acctual users in the field.

The think is I was considering going for the 1/4" clicks would these be a mis match with the mildot reticle?

Also would love to hear anyone experiences withthe ret #60

Both scopes use 5mm/100m clicks. That is to say 20 clicks = 1 mil.

12 power is where the ret is true. IE 1 dot is 1 mil. I stay metric since that is how I was trained but it makes the mental arithmetic easy in the field.

ATB

ATB

I've got a couple of 6-24x56's with the illuminated 63 and it is an excellent reticle and no longer available to the civilian market.. Zeiss withdrew it a couple of years ago then brought it back and have now discontinued it again. Shame, nice ret, the difference between that and the 43 is that it used tiny circles instead of solid dots.

I've also got a 6-24x72 "Hubble" :) with a 60 ret and comparing this with a quick side by side comparison with the 43 ret in a x56 there's no apparent difference in the thickness of the cross-hairs.

On the 63/43 there is no 'dot' at the centre of the cross-hairs : On the 60 the 'dot' is no bigger than the thickness of the cross hairs.

I've used both 'scopes in very low light/moonlight on foxes needing the illumination turned on but very low....... my preference here is for the 60 as it's easier to see past the single dot as opposed to the whole illuminated reticle in the 63/43 even on it's lowest setting. In practice I tend adjust for range using the BDC turret which, I guess, means I don't really need a 63/43 at all in my current circumstances although it is useful for ranging. (But I won't be selling them!)

Either way, they're excellent 'scopes and you won't be disappointed, if you want to see them in action have a look at Alan's SirSlotsAlot You Tube offerings.... says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sirslotsalot?feature=results_main

atb

Fizz

I recently purchased a 6-24x56 with a no 60 ret and have no problem with the size of the dot on long range work.

I took a few photos comparing it with my nightforce with a Np2dd ret.

Not the best quality pictures sorry, but it should give you an idea....

No 60 ret at 250 yds

69788810.jpg

Np2dd at same distance and mag

fd3c2153.jpg

No 60 ret at 450 yds

5bfe26a3.jpg

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jinks

I had the 72mm on test with a no.60 in it and really liked it, very fine for long range daylight vermin and with illumination turned on, good enough for low light too. I think it is possibly my favourite long range hunting scope reticle.

i have the 60 ret and its awsome

u dont need to iluminate under the lamp wich i feel is a bonus to:-)

great pics !!!

cheers Andy

I agree, you don’t need any ret illumination when lamping with a Zeiss.

I used to use Nightforce years ago when they were considered the best out there. For me the true test came when shooting in twilight. The Nightforce picture blacked out 30 minutes before the Zeiss. On a moonlit night the Zeiss is a poor mans NV.

You can't argue with the toughness of the Nightforce though...it can double as a hammer ;)

ATB

I agree, you don’t need any ret illumination when lamping with a Zeiss.

I used to use Nightforce years ago when they were considered the best out there. For me the true test came when shooting in twilight. The Nightforce picture blacked out 30 minutes before the Zeiss. On a moonlit night the Zeiss is a poor mans NV.

You can't argue with the toughness of the Nightforce though...it can double as a hammer ;)

ATB

Hi

another thing to mention & im sure im not the only one to notice this is the nxs is very focus fussy under a lamp!

this was one of the main reasons i changed!

the ziess i set to 150 & forget!

cheers Andy

I was after a seconhand 6x24x56 Zeiss for ages with 60 ret but couldn't find one. So went with a seconhand one with 43 ir mildot.

I find the 43 ret very good. And the mildots are finer then the 60 ret dot.

My mate has the 60 ret on his zeiss. And when shooting at some targets I found the dot on his to thick. glad I did end up with the 43 in the end

I was after a seconhand 6x24x56 Zeiss for ages with 60 ret but couldn't find one. So went with a seconhand one with 43 ir mildot.

I find the 43 ret very good. And the mildots are finer then the 60 ret dot.

My mate has the 60 ret on his zeiss. And when shooting at some targets I found the dot on his to thick. glad I did end up with the 43 in the end

I struggle shooting groups with it compaired to finer dots/lines but its beed pretty good for vermin !

ive lost count of the 500+ crows ive shot with it!

cheers Andy

Hiya Jinks,

If you look at your top 2 images there is no way they are the same magnification no matter what the scopes say, just look at the size of the tree stumps in the hedgerow.

Both images are taken with both scopes on 24x, however the images are not true with what is seen by the eye when looking through the scope.

The nightforce image is 'magnified' because I have cropped more of the surrounding image off (due to the narrower field of view of the nightforce). So just imagine the nightforce image being half the size of the zeiss image, then the fence posts etc, will be roughly the same size.

When I get a chance, I will take another set of pics and leave them uncropped, so that they will be more accurate with what is seen by the eye.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Jinks

• 3 weeks later...

Archived