.284 LONG OR SHORT?

What action length is best for a .284 in order to use 180gr bullets? Also is the improved version worth the hassel? Thinking of maybe rebarreling my 6.5x47 savage but not sure if the target action would be suitable.

Thanks Sean

Spud your on about barrel length.

Action wise you will find it tight ejecting live rounds but it is doable out of a shot action. Might have to remove bolt to eject them.

I know of folks who have built repeaters on short actions to shoot the 162gr A-max. However case capacity is lost.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, my .284 Shehane works just fine on a short action Stolle Panda.

Short action is fine as long as you don't want to mag feed.

For what you need Sean I wouldn't bother with the Shehane version

Cheers

Dave

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, my .284 Shehane works just fine on a short action Stolle Panda.

Short action is fine as long as you don't want to mag feed.

For what you need Sean I wouldn't bother with the Shehane version

Cheers

Dave

Dave, Can you eject live rounds out of your short action? I only need a single shot so was wondering whether my single shot savage action would do. I know savage build 6.5x284 so hoping my action would be long enough. On the other hand i think russ gall has a long action left :wub:

ATB SEAN

Dave, Can you eject live rounds out of your short action? I only need a single shot so was wondering whether my single shot savage action would do. I know savage build 6.5x284 so hoping my action would be long enough. On the other hand i think russ gall has a long action left :wub:

ATB SEAN

Hi Sean you have to remove the bolt to eject a live round on a short action, but that's no real hassle.

Short actions a easier to get after market stocks and bits than th LA and they're much neater.

Cheers

Dave.

What action length is best for a .284 in order to use 180gr bullets? Also is the improved version worth the hassel? Thinking of maybe rebarreling my 6.5x47 savage but not sure if the target action would be suitable.

Thanks Sean

Hi Sean . Your question is a valid one and depends apon a number of factors. Your stipulation to shoot 180 grain bullets does normaly dictate the use of a long action.if one were using a remington/stiller action and standard magazine boxes . It is our standard practice to adjust the throat of the chamber so the boat tail /shank junction of the bullet sits at the neck / shoulder junction of the case . this is to maximise case capacity and we have found through testing that the best accuracy was to be found if the bullet did not sit deeply in the case. ( we are talking a difference of 0.3 groups against 0.2s with the throat pushed out). Set up in this fashion the oal is too long for remingtons and their clones to function properly and reliably without an extension magazine box being fitted. which adds expense to the job. Some actions in short action format are longer than 2.875 in the mag box. Sako and savage and howa for example.

My suggestion is that you make up a dummy round with the bullet you intend to use set up in this fashion and compare it to the magazine in your action . If you have 0.020 thou clearence in the mag then happy days. If not then you are looking at a long action. As for the ackley improved version in the 284 case ....pretty much a waste of time as its pretty close to an improved version as is. There is also the issue of barrel life , which if you are running the round at its potential is going to be less than 1400 rounds . You may loose 20/25% fire forming cases. For the improved performance ---- ballistic masturbation without the payoff

I hope that this is usefull to you

yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris custom Rifles :)

Archived