Sort of tactical, a moral dilema...

Davy

I sold my 4(T) a couple of weeks ago, or more accurately I did a PX for a Wylde chambered Speedmaster which I am looking forward to shooting however that is not what this thread about :P

Now the 4(T) is gone I need something to replace it, somthing old and challenging so a Pre45 Action Service rifle fits the bill however some glass on it would be good. Christel has just put her hands on an original 1914-18 1-10 German Imperial state version 3x R.Fuess 'scope as fitted to the Gew98 Mauser. Externally it shows some surface pitting but the glass is stunningly good, way better than the No32 Mk1 on my old 4(T) plus everything works nicely, the elevation drum is as slick as the day it was built and the windage adjustment on the rear claw is perfect, all in all it is a very nice thing.

The problem is I don't have a Gew98 to use it with and more to the point finding an original Gew98 sniper minus the glass is all but impossible and putting it onto a non sniper Geww98 is not really on.

I do however have a 1916 P14 with fine vernier rear sight and Brindles trigger box that is an exceptional shooter plus Christel has an 1893 8x58RD M/89 Krag-Jørgensen, so two rifles that would work well with a period 'scope on top and both capable of working out to 1000 yards

So what should I do with the 'scope? I am not one for leaving such things in a drawer and I strongly believe it should be used but is it ethically and morally right to attach it to a rifle that it was not issued with? It is important to stress that in now way shape or form would I be building nor passing this off as a faked WWI sniper rifle as neither the P14 or the KJ would have been fitted with such a 'scope and I would probably build the claw mount bases out of stainless steel left self colour so they were obviously not original.

So does anyone have any views on this?

Archived