A disgrace

Hi chaps,

I was reading about this in a recent issue of 'Sporting Rifle' and today I thought I'd check this out:

see the link below:

where a red stag is knifed to death in the LACS management centre, the bloody hypocrites! It may have been that the matter was covered in the list before but I missed it, but my blood boiled enough not to let this pass. Particularly after all of us that are after deer, go through the DSC training and the hours on the range to make sure that whatever we decide to take, is taken with as minimal suffering as possible, yet we are the people that those idiots are condemning as cruel and ignorant.

anyway, enough with my rant, I guess you can make your own minds up...

best wishes,

Finman

Finman, I am with you on that. An Absolute disgrace, maybe it will open the eyes of those deciduous trees that run LACS to the facts of the coutryside that all animals need controlled, the countryside has been fine for 100's of years with people hunting, now look LACS get some land and they make a cock up of it they are causing more suffering than a soft point in the lungs, thats for sure.

Guest 308Panther

Thats Pathetic.

A true first hand case of too many deer and not enough land

to be able to support them properly.

Sad part is....It could be used as fuel for even more tree huggers

to get involved.

Rather than admit a mistake they will lay the blame on some sort of

of disease, one deer was sick and got the whole herd sick,kind of thing

to justify the sorry state of health the whole herd is in.

A blind man can see what the next move is...

Which would be to bring in more deer.

Starting the whole thing over again.

Just my 2 cents...

308Panther

there just low life scum, they need that done to them, shower of bas..rds........................................... sorry but that needless cruelty upsets me rgds dave.

I thought it looked like he was trying to break its neck too VIM, good luck too the man who can do that, a 14lb sledge hammer is much more instant and humane or of course the smart option which is already in worldwide use, proper deer management!!!!! Its sad to see suffering like that but its just what those interfering assholes need to waken them up, just a pity that so many animals have to suffer to do this.

Guest 308Panther

No...I didnt think he was trying to break its neck.

Because...it would take 2-3 guys alot bigger than him to do that.

Blood gets thicker when an animal is severly dehydrated,

and clots much easier.

I think he was try to make sure the the wound stayed opened and blood

stayed free flowing.

308Panther

Whatever the reason he acts like that, what irks me is that were it a stalker that was trying to dispatch a wounded deer, it would be plastered in every newspaper and all the news bulletins in the country. In this case, where these so called 'animal lovers' are involved, we never even have heard of this incident.

Politicians are just one bit lower than the rat. At least, with the rat, you expect it to behave the way it does...

By the way: Merry Christmas to all!!

best wishes,

Finman

That man should of been jailed for his actions!!!! :lol:

And what ever agency he is employed by, Should face legal action as well???

Disgraceful ;);)

F2n

I agree 100% with you, any body else's feet wouldn't have touched the ground they would be facing instant charges.

I have seen some things in my time in deer stalking let me tell you.But that is way over the top. he must have only the one bullet with him.No way would a deer stalker carry on like that way out of order. They shoud be shaged with the dull end of a ragmans hose .HER HER

Wiseman,

there was no bullet. The stag collapsed from disease/weakness/starvation...and he moved in for the kill armed only with the knife

Finman

Anyone that stalks sooner or later will have occasion to use a knife in a similar manner.

I have unfortunately had three completely separate occasions.

On each occasion it was due to finding deer that needed dispatching when I had no rifle. On two occasions it was because of 'dog men' poachers that allowed their dogs to chase and attack the deer then not following up to dispatch them humanely. On both of those occasions I found them the following day when walking some of my shooting.

Both circumstances were very similar yet over 2 years apart. The dogs had attacked the rump and the neck areas and had torn strips of flesh from around the necks of the deer so it hung down like strips of cloth and the dogs teeth had also punctured their windpipes. On one deer the strips of skin were some 10" long and one front leg had also been severely chewed. The residues on the antler of that deer also indicated that one dog at least may have also been severely injured.

The last occasion was only a month or so ago when I came across a young fallow upside down with its leg caught in a sheep fence having been unsuccessful in attempting to jump it.

Dealing with a live deer with a knife can be dangerous, difficult, messy and very unpleasant but in my opinion better done then than leaving the animal to suffer longer until a rifle can be acquired and used esp if the deer is still mobile.

Do not be too harsh regarding this film until or unless you know all the circumstances but I also do find it unacceptable if the circumstances regarding the herd's health is as indicated.

325WSM.

Yes mate, very valid point about the dangerous use of a knife if the deer is still mobile/moving. The Ratwife was on her way back from a Hound Trail near here and came across an RTA'd deer that needed dispatch. No one in the initial group had a decent knife or much idea how to use one properly, and after some short time another "Trailer" turned up and had to use a hammer :rolleyes:

l came across signs of the "Dog Men" on one of my beats about a month ago but they'd taken the deer away with them, the bandits from out west are here to "take away" and not just for the "running", but they'll take anything that's not nailed down.

Anyway BTT.....

Any evidence can be misleading and films like this can be misconstrued. As on another thread on this site, maybe it time someone started to gather some hard evidence and build up a decent file/film on such as LACS rather than just bleating about it, then run the whole lot of them through the courts. Where would their money then come from if it were proved beyond all doubt that they were nothing but a bunch of conniving hippocrits.

• 2 weeks later...

The ongoing debate over the health of the deer on Barronsdown between the LACS, Staghunting supporters and the Countryside Alliance has been raging for some time. TB is rife in the Barronsdown heard and many dead deer have been found and reported by locals.

This video clip actually features a retired park ranger who happened to be passing and noticed a distressed deer in the hedge doing the right thing and putting the animal down with a knife, as he did not have a gun to hand. He did the right thing and I hope something any of us with experience would have done in the circumstances. Further video footage was added to this clip showing LACS staff collecting another dead deer found on Barronsdown.

You are all quite right to be horrified by the way the LACS policy of encouraging huge numbers of deer onto their "reserve" does nothing but act as a catalyst for the spreading of disease. However I must point out again that there is nothing wrong with using a knife to put down an injured or dying deer and believe me the chap in question knew what he was doing.

Mike

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but surely anyone attempting to get close to a stag with a rack of deadly spikes is a nut job? It can't be a safe option to use a knife, and why if it's very humane did this guy try to brake it's neck or maybe I am wrong and he was just trying to make it bleed out quicker. Can someone explain as I am a dumb ass and need these things spelt out to me.

Archived