Cleaning routine

tikkajohn

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a sako 75 in .223 and I am looking for advise on what sort of

cleaning routine the shooters on here with more experience would reccomend.

Is bore guide necessary if so what one would you reccomend?

What cleaning products do you use reccomend?

Clean every time/clean after a certain number of rounds?

Ive heard some only remove the carbon out of the barell whats the views on this?

Any help is really apprecieated atb john

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a sako 75 in .223 and I am looking for advise on what sort of

cleaning routine the shooters on here with more experience would reccomend.

Is bore guide necessary if so what one would you reccomend?

What cleaning products do you use reccomend?

Clean every time/clean after a certain number of rounds?

Ive heard some only remove the carbon out of the barell whats the views on this?

Any help is really apprecieated atb john

I can highly recommend Wipe out and Patch out and accelerator plus as cleaning products and yes to a bore guide.

I use Forest Bore Cleaning Foam, squirt some up from the action whilst it is still warm and then patch it out when you get home and try and get a cleaning rod guide with an O ring on the nose to stop normal cleaning fluid bleeding back into the action and magazine well.

Once patched out I use KG amongst others to do the final clean out if needed.

Forest bore foam left in the barrel left for 20mins. Then a few passes with the copper brush then pass patches through until patches come out clean, Quick spray of gun oil down the barrel i leave it like that. Then i pass a patch through to swab up excess oil before next use.

I clean after every outing wether its 1 shot or 21 shots!

I dont have a bore guide for my .22-250 but will most certainly be getting one for my new rifle.

Forest bore foam left in the barrel left for 20mins. Then a few passes with the copper brush then pass patches through until patches come out clean, Quick spray of gun oil down the barrel i leave it like that. Then i pass a patch through to swab up excess oil before next use.

I clean after every outing wether its 1 shot or 21 shots!

I dont have a bore guide for my .22-250 but will most certainly be getting one for my new rifle.

Thanks for the input guys.

One question most of my shooting would be on a cold bore e.g varminting i wouldnt always have the opportunity to foul the barrel before taking the shot at a crow or rabbit etc.

From in intial testing the rifle is shooting norma 50grain very well sub 1/2 inch but the first two shots are not on the money.

What would be the best option for this? atb john

If all else fails , when you arrive on your shoot put a couple of fowlers into a bank before you get to the hunting area.

Have you had your rifle bedded yet?

If all else fails , when you arrive on your shoot put a couple of fowlers into a bank before you get to the hunting area.

Have you had your rifle bedded yet?

No its not bedded standard from the factory, Would bedding help this?

I looked into this recently after finding my first few shots wandering after my usual thorough cleaning with solvents. It seemed that the only way was to simply use a boresnake (with the brushes removed) which had minimum disturbance and literally only took out the loose powder residue. 

I have now started to experiment with a Wipeout product called Carbout. It only takes out the carbon while the copper is left intact. So far, this seems to be giving good repeatable results with insgnificant poi shift. It clears the carbon buildup in the throat which seems to be the main problem with a minimal clean approach.

Yes, use a boreguide!

Rup

No its not bedded standard from the factory, Would bedding help this?

Its going to help if not bedded . that at least will be one thing less to worry about

...One question most of my shooting would be on a cold bore e.g varminting i wouldnt always have the opportunity to foul the barrel before taking the shot at a crow or rabbit etc....

Since having my Winchester Featherweight re-barrelled by Neil McKillop with a s/steel PacNor I've followed advice from various quarters and abandoned my previous consistent habit of cleaning after every outing, very thoroughly. I now clean only periodically, and everything is fine. If there is still a "first shot from cold barrel" effect, then it's much minimised compared with what i've always been used to previously. Which is very convenient - since sometimes I shoot very few rounds, perhaps only get off one round - like last Sunday morning, only saw two rabbits and one went down at a modest 175 yards, first and only shot, cold barrel of course.

When I clean, it's with a ProShot rod & patches, KG1, Lucas calibre-specific boreguide.

HTH - Tony

Archived