New Small Game Rifle

Andrew

I picked up a new barrel for my Thompson-Center single shot pistol this past week. It's now a rifle, chambered in 5mm Remington Rimfire magnum but, by flipping a switch on the hammer, it will be used with the 5mm Craig centerfire cartridge. Initial groups at 50M averaged .36 inches with rimfire ammo. Smacking golf balls out to 90 yards was easy. When I get my 5mm dies back from some friends, I'll be loading a 32 grain VM over Lil Gun to about 2550 fps. Not a real barn burner but the ability to switch from rimfire to centerfire in the same chamber is a novel enough to keep me at it. The group pictured with the rifle was shot at 70M over a loose rest using rimfire ammo consisting of a 30 grain HP at 2500 fps.~Andrew

tccontender5mmcarbine1.jpg

Amazed you can still find 5mm rimfire ammo

I believe that there have been a couple of limited runs of 5mm Rem. ammo in the past few years. Savvy owners buy up as much as they can when available. Like the idea of a centrefire (or should it be centerfire!)alternative with a switchable striker (firing pin),

Alan

I believe that there have been a couple of limited runs of 5mm Rem. ammo in the past few years. Savvy owners buy up as much as they can when available. Like the idea of a centrefire (or should it be centerfire!)alternative with a switchable striker (firing pin),

Alan

Five millimeter Remington has actually been in steady production since it's reintroduction about 6 years ago. This is a photo of the CF case reformed from turned Hornet brass (left) a standard 40 grain HV 22LR, and the Centurion factory 30 grain HP on the right. Note the 50M group on the prairiedog's nose.~Andrew

LittlestCenterfire-1.jpg

Andrew, very nice rifle, clever idea too. I've fired friends' T/C Contender handguns back in the day (including a hot load in 45-70 Gov't, never again!) and always admired them, planned to get one chambered for something like Hornet until the 1997 ban came along; in recent years I've had a hankering for their carbines/rifles since I like the idea of a compact single-shot rifle chambered in something like .17 Fireball or 17VHA... They are rather like hen's teeth here though, and very expensive even if you can get one.

Keep us updated on your experiences with this!

Regards, Tony

Andrew, very nice rifle, clever idea too. I've fired friends' T/C Contender handguns back in the day (including a hot load in 45-70 Gov't, never again!) and always admired them, planned to get one chambered for something like Hornet until the 1997 ban came along; in recent years I've had a hankering for their carbines/rifles since I like the idea of a compact single-shot rifle chambered in something like .17 Fireball or 17VHA... They are rather like hen's teeth here though, and very expensive even if you can get one.

Keep us updated on your experiences with this!

Regards, Tony

Thanks Tony,I will. Centurion Ordnance has told me they have made some changes in the rimfire cartridge and will be sending me some bricks to evaluate. I'm looking forward to that. In the mean time, I'm working on getting my RCBS 5mm Craig dies back so I can load 32 grain V-Max bullets. In my Remington conversion they were superbly accurate over Lil Gun. (half minute) I expect that they will shoot as well in this Contender, if not better.

I traded a Hornet barrel off today for a 30-30 Winchester barrel for deer hunting. I have a feeling that it is going to make my .44 feel tame! Shame about the Contender thing. A used G2 frame with the selector is less than $200 locally. I have one in .222 that is deadly accurate, and I am actively looking for one in 256 Winchester Magnum. Had one once; with a 60 grain bullet at 2500 fps it was a mean little varmint gun. ~Andrew

Five millimeter Remington has actually been in steady production since it's reintroduction about 6 years ago. This is a photo of the CF case reformed from turned Hornet brass (left) a standard 40 grain HV 22LR, and the Centurion factory 30 grain HP on the right. Note the 50M group on the prairiedog's nose.~Andrew

LittlestCenterfire-1.jpg

That's good news...It would have been even better news if someone chambered a gun for it too...(other than custom offerings). Live and hope I guess, and make do with the .17 HMR :)

thank you for sharing this with us,

best wishes,

Finman

That's good news...It would have been even better news if someone chambered a gun for it too...(other than custom offerings). Live and hope I guess, and make do with the .17 HMR :)

thank you for sharing this with us,

best wishes,

Finman

Yes. A new rifle would have been great. Only T/C made some barrels. I know that the rimfire rounds work fine in this T/C barrel but I am really waiting on my dies so I can see how the CF rounds perform from this chassis. Waiting on the Mail is like watching the proverbial pot coming to a boil! ;) ~Andrew

I got out and chronoed my most recent LOT of 30 grain 5mm ammo. (Still waiting on the CF dies) This was at 70 degrees F, 3500+ sea level, and with the chrono set at 15 ft. Not bad for a rim fire. I was impressed.~Andrew

TCMAyChrono201230grainHP.jpg

• 1 month later...

An Update of sorts.

It seems I will be going to the Centurion Ordnance facility in Texas soon so I am leaving my centerfire dies in their hands until I arrive. This will allow me to use their Universal Receiver Pressure Gun and ballistics lab to develop CF loads with; or at least establish pressure data. I have already sent them brass and will bring some Hornady 32 grain. I'm hoping to use some of their own production 30 grain HP as well. I think that kind of opportunity is worth the wait for the CF half of this project.

I did take the 5mm out prairiedogging on the motorcycle a couple of weeks back. I scored 80% on a breezy, hot day. My farthest shot was 165 yards, give or take. I took plenty of pics but some might be a bit too gory for posting. This is the rig I used, at least.~Andrew

PS: The rifle barrel seems to have broken in. It's now shooting a pretty consistent .75MOA

Rokonpacked2RED.jpg

ThomosonCenteronrestatfence-lineRED.jpg

Archived