Working up a load

Sakotrg

Hi

I am about to start working up a load to suit my new 0.223" with a 20" 1 in 8 twist barrel.

I have the Hornady OAL gauge and comparators, should I be considering overall lengths at this stage.

What I am thinking is complete the AOL checks and load 20 thou off the lands and make up the rounds at increments leading up to just above 24.6 grains using Varget powder as per various articles that I have read which have always ended up at around 24.6 grains.

Do I then once found the optimum load start altering the OAL or should I be be changing the OAL as well as the powder charge when making up the batches?

Thanks in advance

Sorry should have also stated that I am using Federal Match Primers and have the following heads

80gr A-Max

65gr Sierra spritzer boat tail

55gr Sierra spritzer boat tail

50gr V-Max

As it always seems to be windy on my grounds I would have thought the 80gr may be best suited?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Hi

I am about to start working up a load to suit my new 0.223" with a 20" 1 in 8 twist barrel.

I have the Hornady OAL gauge and comparators, should I be considering overall lengths at this stage.

What I am thinking is complete the AOL checks and load 20 thou off the lands and make up the rounds at increments leading up to just above 24.6 grains using Varget powder as per various articles that I have read which have always ended up at around 24.6 grains.

Do I then once found the optimum load start altering the OAL or should I be be changing the OAL as well as the powder charge when making up the batches?

Thanks in advance

20 thou is a good start, then once you have a load that works then play around with your oal again to find the tuned load, 5 thou increments toward the lands is the way that I go, but you may find a better load the other way depending on the type of bullet heads you are using. What bullet heads are you using.

For a working rifle -one that will see field use- I set my base OAL to what will cycle through the magazine. If that then allows me to seat a given distance from the lands then I will. What bullet weights are you considering?~Andrew

Hi

Thanks in advance

Sorry should have also stated that I am using Federal Match Primers and have the following heads

80gr A-Max

65gr Sierra spritzer boat tail

55gr Sierra spritzer boat tail

50gr V-Max

As it always seems to be windy on my grounds I would have thought the 80gr may be best suited?

Thanks for the advice so far.

I would work up a couple of loads that show good accuracy potential (keeping an eye open for pressure signs) once you have got a couple of suitable loads then I would start tweaking OAL to try and squeeze a little more accuracy out of it.

Archived