Stuck case removal

A good shooting mate of mine rang me this morning to say he had a .223 round stuck in the chamber. He tried to very carefully remove it by putting a cleaning rod down and judiciously tapping the round out. Unfortunately it did not move as the bullet was a soft point and just flattened the lead.

I suggested that he tip the rifle muzzle down and remove the bolt. Then put some crushed up ice cubes onto the case head to try and get the brass to shrink and then put the bolt in quickly and remove in the normal fashion.

Guess what it worked! However, as he took my idea one stage further. He filled up a .223 case with water, froze it and just put the frozen case primer to primer and after a few minutes he removed the stuck case.

So if that ever happens to anyone, give this method a try it might just work.

I am impressed, I would never have thought of doing that. Does he know what caused the case to stick in the first place?

He does now. He used some old 223 cases he found lying about somewhere and being a canny Scot (too tight to buy some new brass LOL - no offence meant to our Scots brethren), he thought after full length resizing and also putting them through a base sizing die that they would do the job. He is now in the process of pulling about 200 rounds he has already loaded up just in case it happens again to save the powder and will discard the brass. He has decided that in future he will just purchase .223 Wolf ammunition.

I suggested that he tip the rifle muzzle down and remove the bolt. Then put some crushed up ice cubes onto the case head to try and get the brass to shrink and then put the bolt in quickly and remove in the normal fashion.

Guess what it worked!

Top Marks for ingenuity!

I use aerosol brake cleaner for degreasing small parts, it gets things very clean but will also freeze fingers with ease so it makes me wonder if such a thing might be worth a try for a quick fix in the absence of ice or time?

I had a chap come to me a while ago with a stuck case (live round) in a remmy.

Wouldnt budge using tapping rod from muzzle or a shot of plumbers freeze spray on the case head.

So I adapted a lee case head holder, welded a rod to the rear and turned the face down so it would go over the protruding case head but retain grip,,,,, and made a slide puller (the kind of thing that car body repairers use on dents)

Worked first tap....

Archived