barnes bullet impact in slow mo

John RPA

Well, weather and god willing, I'll get to try the 120TTSXs out of my 7-08 within the next two weeks on a red. Forecast is constant wet (unusual for here) but hopefully there'll be a gap somewhere

If they level them like the 110s did on sika, I'll continue to be a happy boy.

Chris-NZ

Ive seen the video before, there was some "discussion" on another forum regarding placement and terminal effect.

If you search on the poster of the vid, you'll see the longer version where several shots are taken ....look for Amandas first buck

Anyway :rolleyes: , the TSX,

I cant say ive seen this when I take animals, although I dont use video and havent "high speed eyes" so maybe it happens all the time.

I do use 130 TSX to take all my animals in when using 6.5mm, and have to say that if there ever ws a bullet to depend on, this is it.

Every animal ive taken in the last three years have been DRT.

Yes, expensive, 1 gbp per bullet, but wh cares, ...they work, theyre consistant, theyre accurate and expand every time.

According to the offsider of the Ed of NZ Hunter (both of whom do a lot of guiding), the TTSXs out of their 7-08 and .308 "Bush Pigs" really do the biz. He reckons they've shot dozens of animals with these and the vast majority are bang-flops. He said of the last dozen or so he'd been involved with, only one walked and that was in a slow 2m half-circle before tipping over.

Chris-NZ

I cant say ive seen this when I take animals, although I dont use video and havent "high speed eyes" so maybe it happens all the time.

Yup.

Intuition tells me that it would have looked even more surprising with something like an SST, Accubond or NBT.

I don't see the vid as validation of TSX as a death ray; it's just an HV impact - think they'd all look like that; some bigger.

- looks gut shot in the liver to me; not good.

Wouldn't like to be the one gralloching that animal, hit it at least 6" from where he should have, probably burst the stomach as well as making puree of the liver! That deer probably made it about 50yds odd before succumbing to shock and blood lose.Classic example of how not to shoot a deer.Interesting visual of the effect of a hv bullet impact though.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup.

Intuition tells me that it would have looked even more surprising with something like an SST, Accubond or NBT.

I don't see the vid as validation of TSX as a death ray; it's just an HV impact - think they'd all look like that; some bigger.

- looks gut shot in the liver to me; not good.

I looked at the vid and then read the comments posted on youtube. It seems the shot hit the liver and some lung. The poster of the vid says that the deer made it 40m before dropping. I'm no stalker but from wathcing the video the shot didn't seems to be in the 'vitals' area and reading what yourself and others have said it would seem that unfortunately this is the case.

Archived