NV set up for Foxes

Winnyman

Firstly, Hi to all, great site, very interesting, anyway, first post so be gentle :D

I do a fair bit of Foxing and having come across the odd few shy Charlies thought it would not hurt to add an NV setup, so heres the question. What would be the minimum spend I would need for a decent Foxing NV set up? Not sure whether to go dedicated or add on. Just having my new .223 chopped and threaded so it is a blank canvas.

Cheers

2k loads to look at in that bracket. Just remember when you dip into NV theres always a better bit of Kit if your at the bottom end of the range .

You will get your money back with better kit if you need to ofload.

Look at as much stuff as you can before you make up your mind.

Good advice above fella I've been there an wasted alot of money. It's not that the cheaper stuff can't be used but you will never be happy and will miss alot of chances because of it. Gen 3 all the way. As even ir can spook some foxes

I use an addon as I like te extra mag it gives you and ease of use on any rifle but you do get a better picture with dedicated, mind you I can still see past 300 yards

But again as said above beg borrow or steal as much time with as many different scopes as possible before you spend your hard earned it will give you a better idea of want to look for what to expect and what will work for your way of shooting

Good advice above fella I've been there an wasted alot of money. It's not that the cheaper stuff can't be used but you will never be happy and will miss alot of chances because of it. Gen 3 all the way. As even ir can spook some foxes

I use an addon as I like te extra mag it gives you and ease of use on any rifle but you do get a better picture with dedicated, mind you I can still see past 300 yards

But again as said above beg borrow or steal as much time with as many different scopes as possible before you spend your hard earned it will give you a better idea of want to look for what to expect and what will work for your way of shooting

thats good advice when you think you have enough money saved up -save some more top end gear and i mean top end gen11+ and gen 111 aint cheap,but its the dogs- i use a pvs 14 on a .17rem no need for a cannon!with nv you can put the odds in your favour and get charlie to come as near as you feel confident i dont need to shoot any beyond 150yds and most are at 75-100.take your time and look as as much stuff as you can you will see the -good-bad=ugly .

• 3 weeks later...

hi come down too chippenham for a nv demo i have dedicated sm32 hypergen unit and ive just ordered a new day night scope with ekran xg tube from clive ward i have seen through 1 of these scopes and they are brilliant . 41 dead foxes so far this year going out once a week. i urge you too come for a look before you buy any d760 or other add on type.

yours sincerely jason

i do not post often pm me if you choose

Hi there winnyman,i'm a new member and have just read your post on NV! If it helps i use a starlight longbow.Its expensive but is afantastic bit of kit!You do have too be careful when buying NV as a lot of it aint up to much. I had a look through a unit costing nearly £2500 more than my longbow and was struggling to see a third of the distance! Have done a lot of foxing with NV over last few years so would be glad to help in any way i can.

Hi there winnyman,i'm a new member and have just read your post on NV! If it helps i use a starlight longbow.Its expensive but is afantastic bit of kit!You do have too be careful when buying NV as a lot of it aint up to much. I had a look through a unit costing nearly £2500 more than my longbow and was struggling to see a third of the distance! Have done a lot of foxing with NV over last few years so would be glad to help in any way i can.

£2500 more than your longbow? can you tell us what the scope was, would love to know.

£2500 more than your longbow? can you tell us what the scope was, would love to know.

Hi camo304,if i remember rightly it was one of the cobra gen3 NV units fitted with a lazerluchs IR.It came in at £7900 all in compared to £5400 for the longbow. I couldn't make out a rabbit clearly at around 120 yards with the IR on,and i had it working as best as i could get it! The hard thing with NV is getting the chance to try it out before you buy it!

Hi camo304,if i remember rightly it was one of the cobra gen3 NV units fitted with a lazerluchs IR.It came in at £7900 all in compared to £5400 for the longbow. I couldn't make out a rabbit clearly at around 120 yards with the IR on,and i had it working as best as i could get it! The hard thing with NV is getting the chance to try it out before you buy it!

Was that a T-Jacks D??? one then wi XR5 tube?? lot of money better off wi a good D760 then

I use the pulsar n550 with doubler with a striker lamp fitted with a ir filter on top, abit bulky with the lamp on top but I already had it so wasn't going to fork out £500 on a lazerluchs so in total it set me back £1200. I've taken foxes from 30yards to 285yards no problem but most from 60-140yards on my .223. On good open ground i've spotted charlies eye shine out to 800+yards. Had it 22months and it's never skipped a beat or let me down and works great at dusk when it won't get damaged by bright light exposure! Also I take it off after every use and it's never had a shift in poi on either the .22lr or .223. Just my tuppence worth as I could never afford a longbow or similar ;) simon

andy......thats sounds like a d760 in disguise...from who else but TJ'S..could not have been a xr5 with the performence thats quoted above..must have had a...EKRAN...iT inside...

Was that a T-Jacks D??? one then wi XR5 tube?? lot of money better off wi a good D760 then

Think it might have been though not sure!Def XR5 tube.Keeper mate said i could use it when i was waiting for my longbow to arrive,said no thanks at that point as i thought it would be so much better than the longbow that when i did get it i would be dissapointed! As it turned out,when he looked through the longbow it was him that was dissapointed! Have just done an average of the last five foxes i've shot with NV to give you an idea of how good the longbow is. Av 291 yards,and thats not bulls**t! though i do like them closer but due to the size of the fields where i live long shots sometimes have to be taken.

Think it might have been though not sure!Def XR5 tube.Keeper mate said i could use it when i was waiting for my longbow to arrive,said no thanks at that point as i thought it would be so much better than the longbow that when i did get it i would be dissapointed! As it turned out,when he looked through the longbow it was him that was dissapointed! Have just done an average of the last five foxes i've shot with NV to give you an idea of how good the longbow is. Av 291 yards,and thats not bulls**t! though i do like them closer but due to the size of the fields where i live long shots sometimes have to be taken.

Think i will stick with the dedicated i have bud, i don't need a IR light source only use if need eye shine, plus i did one at 302 yards 2weeks ago ;)

Think i will stick with the dedicated i have bud, i don't need a IR light source only use if need eye shine, plus i did one at 302 yards 2weeks ago ;)

Good shot then camo304! Nice when you nail one passed the 300 yard mark! with your NV rig what mag are you running and how far can you clearly see a fox and shoot it?

Good shot then camo304! Nice when you nail one passed the 300 yard mark! with your NV rig what mag are you running and how far can you clearly see a fox and shoot it?

Sorry forgot to say it was a rabbit not a fox, scope is 6x don't know for sure how far but did a video the other week at 745 yards and could of shot a fox if i and the rifle was up to it. Sent the vid to a - who bought my D760 just to show him the picture thru my scope.6x mag in a good dedicated with good mil-spec glass is plenty.

i'm going to get my kit slated here ,but ns 200. fox out to 160 yds no problem and takes 2 mins to change on to different rifle if needed.if your on a tight budget its great.i find further than the ns can see i use a lamp to spot then walk or drive up.i never take foxes at long range at night as i cant see whats behind it.(wich is code for i would probably miss :blush: )cant get the foxes to sit still whilst i read the wind and distance.

Archived