durham feo

iancxx

Hiya,just wondering if any one else is haveing problem,s with co durham,Put in for a variation in January,,still getting messed about now,,it seems,she has a problem with .204 calibre for some reason,My licence has been lieing on her desk for 2 or 3 week,s now,whilst she takes advice from her panel of expert,s,,So was just wondering is it just me,or is it down to the fact i want a .204,,Trying to swap a .22 hornet for the .204,,land is all cleared up to .223,,It,s just getting a bit of a p*** take now,,Other,s i know have had new rifles added,,Any info,,let me know,look,s like i will have to put in for a temp under section 7,,so i can get some shooting done,,ian

Hiya,just wondering if any one else is haveing problem,s with co durham,Put in for a variation in January,,still getting messed about now,,it seems,she has a problem with .204 calibre for some reason,My licence has been lieing on her desk for 2 or 3 week,s now,whilst she takes advice from her panel of expert,s,,So was just wondering is it just me,or is it down to the fact i want a .204,,Trying to swap a .22 hornet for the .204,,land is all cleared up to .223,,It,s just getting a bit of a p*** take now,,Other,s i know have had new rifles added,,Any info,,let me know,look,s like i will have to put in for a temp under section 7,,so i can get some shooting done,,ian

Hi Ian,

Only January! A lot of people on UKV would regard this as rapid compared to their local Firearms Licensing Depts. One of my customers in the Met. has been waiting since August for his renewal. Most forces are extremely reluctant to issue a section 7 permit, it counts as a big black mark against them. It sounds like the person causing the hold up is technically unaware, hence needing to consult 'experts'.

I seem to remember from previous posts that Cheshire had a problem with some vermin calibres, perhaps someone else can relate their experiences? It appears you have few choices. One, you just wait for them to get their act together. Two, you ask for a section 7 permit on the grounds that they are preventing the lawful use of your firearms. Three, you ask them what their charter says regarding turn round times and say that you will raise the matter with their Professional Standards Dept. should you not receive a satisfactory answer,

Alan

Hi Ian,

Only January! A lot of people on UKV would regard this as rapid compared to their local Firearms Licensing Depts. One of my customers in the Met. has been waiting since August for his renewal. Most forces are extremely reluctant to issue a section 7 permit, it counts as a big black mark against them. It sounds like the person causing the hold up is technically unaware, hence needing to consult 'experts'.

I seem to remember from previous posts that Cheshire had a problem with some vermin calibres, perhaps someone else can relate their experiences? It appears you have few choices. One, you just wait for them to get their act together. Two, you ask for a section 7 permit on the grounds that they are preventing the lawful use of your firearms. Three, you ask them what their charter says regarding turn round times and say that you will raise the matter with their Professional Standards Dept. should you not receive a satisfactory answer,

Alan

hiya alan,thank,s for the input,have been in contact with the C.A fella and he said the same,and offered to get one of his expert,s to call,and explain the calibre,,so may go down that route,then ask for the section 7 permit,it,s in situation,s like this that an experienced person,instead of a clerk,is handy to have in the job,cheer,s Alan,,ian

I have just moved from London Met to Essex. Have to say their, speed, courtesy and general pragmatic advice was refreshing and excellent (Thank you Essex team).

I suggest you have a word with Mike Eveleigh or Alan Booth at BASC - 01244 573 000 - , put together a short letter to your FEO to ask for clarification on the process (also include any reference from the like of Bruce Potts on the suitability of .204 / flat shooting, inherently accurate . frangible round etc, etc) and CC the BASC chaps. Akin to putting a match to petrol I have found in geeing up a response. Also takes it out of your hands so you are not flagged as "difficult".

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

result fella,s,rec a phone call at work today,,a very very apologetic,call,sorry for the delay etc,thanking me for my patience,,any way,new fac is on it,s way,so get to pick the new girl up on monday,and pop her new clothe,s on,a nice boyd,s laminate,,then looking forward to next weekend,,better get some reload,s in the box,s,,god this week is going to drag,,ian

I have been told in the past on renewal that if I agreed to certain conditions It would be "favourable" in my application for a renewal. I am not going to say the reply she got not what she expected I might add as she was new to the job. Asking totally stupid things like needing written permission from land owners for paid days hind shooting. Two people turning up for the visit and questioning my wife in a seperate room about how she felt about all these guns etc etc while the other was with me checking serial nimbers and so on. Asking why I had permission for a 308 on land where there were no red deer when it clearly stated I could shoot foxes vermin and zero the rifle on land suitable. Trying to tell one of my referee's that I should have a 270 instead of a 308 ( He was a game keeper and told her that she didn't know what she was talking about. That had went down well.), the list went on and on with phone calls to me from her. Eventually I did as one of my mates told me to do after telling him the whole story. I asked her if she new that it was an offence for a police constable to knowingly tell a lie to a member of the public. In the end I told her to put it through the way it was and I wasn't going to fill in any of their additional forms etc etc and that was that. Certificate came through a few days later. I must say in all fairness that the last renewal have been handled very differently. Apart from trying to reduce my ammo count.

I have been told about the "flagged as difficult" from a mate of mine during his renewal once.

I must add that I was granted a section 7 permit after they screwed up a renewal. I put the referee forms in the big envelope along with the forms etc. Months went past phoned them up asking what was happening with my FAC as it was due to run out in the next few days. They told me they were waiting for the referee forms. I told them they were in the envelope along with everything else. Long silent pause and then he said I wasn't allowed to read the referee forms. I said I hadn't they were in sealed envelopes I just put everything together incase anything got lost. Obviously they hadn't even opened the envelope to look and see what was inside. I still have it today I was going to frame it as it is almost unheard of to get one up this neck of the woods.

There is definitely a reluctance to issue section 7's.

Whether this is a (poor) performance indicator or otherwise is interesting. When I asked with less than a month to go for one they said as I had submitted then just carry on. I am still not sure this is totally above board but it is what was said.

In the end my ticket turned up in time, not sure whether my contact speeded this up or not though. :unsure:

Orka, in answer to the "empirical" question. No. Just good old solid advice from a solid source and wording which secured the result I wanted borne out of (several) 'phone calls to Essex to determine what their understanding / expectation of process was as opposed to Met which was totally different / which was totally different from the advice from BASC / which was totally different from my previous FEO at Suffolk which was totally different from Home Office Guidelines. It's time the whole licensing practise was standardised within a standard, empowered and visibly respected authority. Confused ?????? - yes. Have I got better thing to do with 10 hours. You bet.

Archived