320 paces chicken shed fox

onelesscharlie

Had a local chicken farm suffering from a fox climbing the fence and doing what they do best but struggled to get a safe shot without spooking it.

Last resort tonight was night vision on the 223, only trouble was had to be a long range firing point in order to clear the fences with the trajectory.

So a windless, moonlit night and hey presto 7x mag at 320 paces and one fat as a pig vixen still with a chicken foot hanging out of her mouth.

Feeling good (thanks 223magic for the left hand thumbhole stock) im sure it made the difference.

Had a local chicken farm suffering from a fox climbing the fence and doing what they do best but struggled to get a safe shot without spooking it.

Last resort tonight was night vision on the 223, only trouble was had to be a long range firing point in order to clear the fences with the trajectory.

So a windless, moonlit night and hey presto 7x mag at 320 paces and one fat as a pig vixen still with a chicken foot hanging out of her mouth.

Feeling good (thanks 223magic for the left hand thumbhole stock) im sure it made the difference.

320 paces with an Archer on !!!! forget the left handed thumbhole stock GOD was on your side. !!

320 paces with an Archer on !!!! forget the left handed thumbhole stock GOD was on your side. !!

YES god was smiling on you- an archer that can make out charlie beyond 200yds!

ask me how i know. :mad:

YES god was smiling on you- an archer that can make out charlie beyond 200yds!

ask me how i know. :mad:

Yes pray tell... good scope, full moon and knowledge of the terrain all came in to it.

I regularly shoot foxes with my archer at 180 plus. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you have different experiences.

Onelesscharlie

BOUGHT one[archer] about 4yrs ago it was supposed to be a grade c brand new,had it for about 8 months had it on 3 of my own scopes and borrowed a few more to try it and all gave the same results-a pile of crap couldnt make rabbits out beyond 100yds-well not quite true you could see dark blobs no eye shine at all you could make charlie out but again a dark blob and only to 130-150yds .it was good as a spotter but on a scope crap- i advertised it and sold it for a loss the buyer was well pleased after looking through it,saved up and bought a 14, cried for a few days but havent regreted buying it.maybe i was unlucky with the archer i bought but plenty seem happy with theres .

BOUGHT one[archer] about 4yrs ago it was supposed to be a grade c brand new,had it for about 8 months had it on 3 of my own scopes and borrowed a few more to try it and all gave the same results-a pile of crap couldnt make rabbits out beyond 100yds-well not quite true you could see dark blobs no eye shine at all you could make charlie out but again a dark blob and only to 130-150yds .it was good as a spotter but on a scope crap- i advertised it and sold it for a loss the buyer was well pleased after looking through it,saved up and bought a 14, cried for a few days but havent regreted buying it.maybe i was unlucky with the archer i bought but plenty seem happy with theres .

Ouch... never nice to hear about hard earned cash going bad.

I think a lot of shooters have love hate relationships with the archer, unfortunately as an add on its always going to be a bit of a compromise.

I can only say that I get on really well with mine, in the main its fitted to a Leupold vx3 4.5-15 x 50 and as a package they work together.

If you ever find yourself in Mid Wales you are welcome to have a look (if that wont make you feel even worse).

All the best

Colin

Ouch... never nice to hear about hard earned cash going bad.

I think a lot of shooters have love hate relationships with the archer, unfortunately as an add on its always going to be a bit of a compromise.

I can only say that I get on really well with mine, in the main its fitted to a Leupold vx3 4.5-15 x 50 and as a package they work together.

If you ever find yourself in Mid Wales you are welcome to have a look (if that wont make you feel even worse).

All the best

Colin

thanks colin-that leupy is actually one of the scopes i tried on advice from the guy that sells the archers.

Yes pray tell... good scope, full moon and knowledge of the terrain all came in to it.

I regularly shoot foxes with my archer at 180 plus. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you have different experiences.

Onelesscharlie

Guys

Colins Archer is a commercial grade supplied to him by Jullian as he demos a lot of Archers to clients for Starlight, and I can vouch for his ability !!!!! I have also seen a few bad Archers which do not come up to scratch they vary a lot.

You were very unlucky.

I have recently bought a C grade Archer & I am very impressed.

Sitting behind a leapers Swat 3-12x44 I can see clearly way beyond my rifle's reach or my shooting ability.

Spending alot of money on nightvision kit I wanted the piece of mind of having a UK supplier & a guarante.

I know it looks long & awkward but in use its very easy & comfortable to use.

DSC02171.jpg

DSC02173.jpg

thanks colin-that leupy is actually one of the scopes i tried on advice from the guy that sells the archers.

Gary the good thing with your Pvs 14 is it will hold it's money far better than a Archer, and out perform it in every way. Never seen a 14 go wrong/tube go down simple to fix if they ever did thats why they are used by the forces.

You were very unlucky.

I have recently bought a C grade Archer & I am very impressed.

Sitting behind a leapers Swat 3-12x44 I can see clearly way beyond my rifle's reach or my shooting ability.

Spending alot of money on nightvision kit I wanted the piece of mind of having a UK supplier & a guarante.

I know it looks long & awkward but in use its very easy & comfortable to use.

DSC02171.jpg

DSC02173.jpg

Hi

I notice that you have moved the firefly forward and mounted it on the scope tube.... do you feel it makes a diffrence having it there instead?

regards

Colin

Hi

I notice that you have moved the firefly forward and mounted it on the scope tube.... do you feel it makes a diffrence having it there instead?

regards

Colin

No noticeable difference but the firefly was just touching my eyebrow, that wasn't a problem

but I just felt happier moving it forward.

I think it looks better there gives it all a more balanced look.

Gary the good thing with your Pvs 14 is it will hold it's money far better than a Archer, and out perform it in every way. Never seen a 14 go wrong/tube go down simple to fix if they ever did thats why they are used by the forces.

hi all your spot on andy pvs wins hands down...no contest...just my opinion...havin seen a fair few off both ;)

Archived